Smallest Penn?

Started by xjchad, August 01, 2018, 03:01:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xjchad

Well the 716 didn't get delivered.  Apparently, the seller dropped it on the way to the post office and some stuff broke so he refunded my money.  Nice of him to be honest about it.

Still on the hunt for an older ultra light!

Not sold on using a Penn anymore, you guys have opened my eyes to a lot of other options!

Just trying to find one that fits the budget  ;D
Husband, Father, Fisherman

mo65

Quote from: xjchad on August 08, 2018, 03:32:52 PM
Well the 716 didn't get delivered.  Apparently, the seller dropped it on the way to the post office and some stuff broke so he refunded my money.  Nice of him to be honest about it.

Still on the hunt for an older ultra light!

Not sold on using a Penn anymore, you guys have opened my eyes to a lot of other options!

Just trying to find one that fits the budget  ;D

I know it's hard struggling with a budget when it comes to this stuff. It's all out there...lots of it...if you have the money they have the reels! Try to be patient though Chad, because killer deals pop up all the time too. I'll keep my eyes peeled for ya. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

xjchad

Thanks for the wise words Mo!  I appreciate ya!

festus

You might like the Shakespeare 2052.  They can be found on ebay for 1/3 to 1/2 the cost of a Penn ultralight.  They are also Made in USA.

xjchad

I'll check those out too, thanks!

thorhammer

i will keep eyes open...i get a deal occasionally. what about Mitchell 410???

George6308

Garcia-Mitchell 300 or 308? My son last month gave me a Garcia-Mitchell 300, Penn 722, and a Langley 830a he picked up at a flea market with 3 vintage brown rods for $30. Only the anti reverse on the Langley needs repair. Keep your eyes open bargains are out there.

oc1

Chad, the seller may have backed out on the 716Z because he realized you got it too cheap.  They usually go for more in any condition.  The Spinfishers always look terrible because the paint does not hold up well.

George, if you decide to take photos of your treasure I would be interested in seeing the rods too.
-steve

wfjord

Quote from: oc1 on August 08, 2018, 08:27:38 PM
Chad, the seller may have backed out on the 716Z because he realized you got it too cheap.  They usually go for more in any condition.

That was my exact thought.  How easily will a well packed 716 or 714z break by dropping the package on the way to the post office?!!

My favorite 714z has been banged and dropped on river rocks so many times with no breakage that if it were not the reel it is it would have been toast decades ago. Also purposely bought a worn, banged-up old 712 last month (advertised as a parts reel, but an easy fix) just to use on rough, rocky river terrain & jetties.

George6308

I agree dropping a Penn Spinfisher usually does not result in damage except a bent bail wire. (Easily straightened)
As a wise man once said is all about the Benjamin's, sounds like seller got a better offer.
That being said the 716 I got from flea bay was sold as a fixer upper. Fixed it in minutes.

handyandy

I'm with others on the fact that I don't worry so much about cosmetic looks of reels I intend to use on rods cause they will most likely get dropped in the boat, bang around with other rods/reels in the car or boat, get dropped on banks on accident. As long as they function well that's my only concern I don't have reels for display purposes really. I know some love having mint ones for collections, but my thought is whats the point if it's not gonna get a line wet.

I'm a fan of all the mentioned reels two of my favorite reels I have for general lighter fishing are penn 430ss and a 4300ss I have. I have them paired on older falcon 6' 6" rods. Their great for throwing lighter jigs, flukes, and senkos for smallies in my rivers/streams. They have handled the occasional catfish, and hybrid that have given them a good run for their money. I also have a cardinal 3 great reel very smooth very robust for it's size. I also really like the dam microlites and 110. The microlite to me seems a little smoother when reeling it than the 110 cause the anti reverse clicks aren't as noticeable to me when I'm reeling in a small finesse bait. The 714/716 have nearly the same internals as a 430/420 I have a 714 I like a lot as well. I don't have a 716 or 420 I prefer the added line capacity of the 430/714. The 722 is a great reel as well I have one as well it's another favorite of mine with cf drag upgrade it's great for 6-8lb mono holds a lot of 6lb. It's a little bigger overall in appearance and line capacity than 420 or 716.

Reel 224

If you guys need schismatics on penn spinning reels I have some here.......................Joe

"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Gfish

I prefer non-skirted spools for light or ultralight splnners, especially the old-school stuff. Fred's comment about the solid stuff ana good quality flexible rod being the most important aspects for little spinners reminded me a that. The drag function ona spinner from back in the day, just didn't seem to be that important for real finnese fishin for bigger fish.

So, I learned to thumb( actually forefinger) the rotor when playing a fish on 4 or even 2 lb. test. A big runnin Eagle Lake trout(2-6lbs.), or a 1.5-3lber. in a heavy river current needed instant control and my MG 300 with 4lb. test, wasn't up to it usin the drag only. A durable drag-yes! as long as you didn't store it with tension on the washer.

That said, have never used a Penn spinner and have never had a drag pullin fish on a DAM Quick. I like the 2052 Festus showed--- the best of both worlds: good multi-disc drag, durable reel overall with worm gears etc., relatively inexpensive, and a rotor you can thumb.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

xjchad

That 2052 sure looks like a sweet little reel.  I'll keep my eyes open for one!

Benni3

Ultra lite,,,the reel weight,,, pflueger patriarch or president special edition  ;D