alan tani @ alantani.com fishing reel repair rebuild tutorial Snapped another Terez rod
Reel Repair by Alan Tani
August 18, 2018, 02:03:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Snapped another Terez rod  (Read 668 times)
bluefish69

Just West of J.F.K. Airport N.Y.

« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2018, 04:29:04 PM »

Ruben

Go over to pier 5 Ocean Eagle ask for Billy V [Billy 40] & see what he has in rack rods. I don't expect you to get a rod like he made for me but he has rods already made on the boat.

Mike

I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
mrbrklyn

GNU/Linux User

« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2018, 05:55:33 PM »

Go over to pier 5 Ocean Eagle ask for Billy V [Billy 40] & see what he has in rack rods. I don't expect you to get a rod like he made for me but he has rods already made on the boat.

Yeah I know him.  He has insulted my rods more than once.  Father works or is retired from DEC Smiley  Nice boy.  is a PIA.

What did he make for you?

Pelican also has a Chinese fellow how has made custom porgy rods for him.  They are light weight as hell, stiff with great flex.  I have zero idea what he makes them from.

Right now, the main rod to use is a Joey Mayo that I picked up at Stellas

One of the interesting things is that the Terez is already old tech.  I am suprised Shimano hasn't come out with something new.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2018, 05:58:32 PM by mrbrklyn » Logged

bluefish69

Just West of J.F.K. Airport N.Y.

« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2018, 07:41:31 PM »

What I had made Is expensive Costume Grips, Butt grip is one of a kind, Titanium Guides, it's Graphite Blank.

I won't tell you what I paid. Don't Ask

Mike

I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
Reel 224
Jersey Devil
Firearms Group

New Jersey

« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2018, 08:33:01 PM »

Custom rods can be in the $1000.00 range and up, but you can get a rod built that will last a life time for around $300.00-$450.00 all depends.

Any pro builder works hard to build a good rod.

Joe

"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."
Jeri
Jeri

Namibia - where the desert meets the ocean

« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2018, 11:01:26 PM »

Over the past few years there has been a trend towards using ever increasing strengths of carbons (graphite) in rods, to make them lighter through less material content. However, as strengths of carbon increase, the carbon gets more brittle, and there is the problem. Take the carbon sheet to too higher a strength, and the brittleness factor increases hugely. Then the slightest knock will fracture the material.

In our local surf rod fishery, we had companies going through the same evolution, and now they have backed off on super high strength carbons, to more moderate strengths, and the breakages have dropped accordingly. The other route that some blank manufacturers have gone, is to use high strength carbons in conjunction with lower strength, and get the best of both world - lighter weight and higher strength.
mrbrklyn

GNU/Linux User

« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2018, 03:25:45 AM »

What I had made Is expensive Costume Grips, Butt grip is one of a kind, Titanium Guides, it's Graphite Blank.

I won't tell you what I paid. Don't Ask

Mike

like this blank
http://www.mudhole.com/70-Medium-CRB-IS701M-Color-Series-Spin-Cast-Rod-Blank?quantity=1&custcol_guide_frame=75

Reel 224
Jersey Devil
Firearms Group

New Jersey

« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2018, 06:25:56 AM »

Rain Shadow makes the rod out of glass that you would be satisfied with............Joe

"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."
Brendan

Capistrano Beach, CA

« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2018, 07:27:08 AM »

Yeah I know him.  He has insulted my rods more than once.

I own two of those rods and had them called a rich mans Ugly Stick. I’m not an all in Shimano guy but a friend hit one of my Teramar rods with a jig while it was in  the rod rack and they did replace it. Not the exact same rod because it had been discontinued.
Tight lines, Brendan.
mrbrklyn

GNU/Linux User

« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2018, 08:09:36 AM »

Rain Shadow makes the rod out of glass that you would be satisfied with............Joe

I have a seeker that is a glass rod, a BA-30 40lbs.  I use it for Striped bass eclussively.  Its not much for bottom fishing

mrbrklyn

GNU/Linux User

« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2018, 08:02:39 PM »

I just looked up the rain shadow blanks... thanks!

thorhammer

"You can't drank all day if you don't start..."

« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2018, 05:39:33 AM »

hey, I definitely want a custom rod, but if I ever pay for one,
it'll be premium vintage glass tricked out w/ the finest modern Fuji components
I'd LOVE some titanium SiC's on a honey/tobacco/Fen blank

man after my own heart....that E / S glas is tough stuff.
Newell Nut
Firearms Group

« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2018, 12:08:03 PM »

I just looked up the rain shadow blanks... thanks!

The Rainshadows are very good blanks. My favorite for bottom fishing is a Seeker Hercules. I have punished the heck out of those rods and never a problem. None the many customs that I have built have had a problem either. Great lightweight blanks that can take a beating. I have one of my friends that actually fishes for grouper with a 15-30 Hercules that I built him. Too light for me for a grouper. I like the 30-60 or 40-80.

Dwight
Reel 224
Jersey Devil
Firearms Group

New Jersey

« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2018, 12:14:02 PM »

I agree. I built a few of rain shadows for sail and for Ruth and I, no one has complained about the rods and I don't and complaints either.

Dwight; should know as a fellow rod builder, mater of fact I have also built Seeker rods and like Dwight said there strong as heck.

Joe
« Last Edit: August 09, 2018, 12:19:10 PM by Reel 224 » Logged

oc1
Sensei

« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2018, 05:29:48 PM »

I've had three long ultralight rods built on Rain Shadow blanks.  They are all broken now..
-steve
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: