Tyrnos 50II LRS problem

Started by Joao Tavares, August 04, 2018, 02:21:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joao Tavares

Need the experts help here.

I have a new Tyrnos 50II 2speed LRS reel that has fished 4 or 5 times.

If I tighten the preset drag to get some decent drag numbers at max drag the handle becomes a bit harder to turn and there is no free spool at all. Bring the lever to "free spool" and the handle is light to turn again.

If I set the preset to get some decent free spool, then the drag is like 3lbs at strike and 7lbs at max.

If I titl the reel to the left I get a beautiful free spool. Tilt it to the right and the spool slows down immediately like if rubbing against something.

This reel is new and fished very little. Difficult to believe this could be a bearing issue. Maybe shimming?

How about the light drag? How to increase the drag wothout loosing free spool?

Any help is much appreciated.

I have no problem servicing a Senator, but this reel is different. Where can I find a good tutorial for this reel? Been looking but can't find one.

João

alantani

Losing free spool when you tilt to the right is normally.  The other issue is probably a bad pinion bearing.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Joao Tavares

Thank you Alan

Issue #1 - Tilting to the right lose free spool - Normal
Anything I can do to correct this? Any shimming possible?

Issue #2 - Handle becomes a bit more difficult to turn - probably a bad pinion bearing

That's what I suspected from various posts in this forum. Looked for that bearing, #TGT 1418, and it was full of grease (dark grey almost black oily grease) and seemed to rotate nice and smooth. Pressing either side of it didn't show any play nor roughness.

Should I clean all the grease, dry it and check again to be sure? Or should I assume it can only be from that bearing and might as well just order a new one?
In that case, any recommendation? Stock Shimano parts or some third party is better (Abec 7 Ceramic Hybrid comes to mind)?

Unbelievable that bearing is bad after only 4 or 5 times fishing and only 1 20lbs spanish.

Issue #3 - Drag too light. To keep free spool, max drag is less than 7lbs. To achieve 21lbs max drag, no free spool at all.
How can correct this? Change configuration of the cone disk springs, Key #TGT 92? They appear to be (((()))).
Or drag control lever, Key #TGT 1407 problem?

Thank you in advance
Joao

boon

You could try shimming under TGT1425 or using a stiffer spring. In my head this will decrease drag pressure though as the spring will always be fighting the drag cam.

Joao Tavares

Further to my 3 issues,

a. Shimano advertizes the max drag for this reel to be 19Kg (41lbs). Isn't this a bit too optimistic, given that i can't achive more than 20lbs and even then no free spool at all?

b. How do I separate the cooling shield from the spool? No screws like other reels.

I live in an island where no Shimano Service Centres are available and sending the reel out to somewhere is not an option.

Thank you for any help on this.

RowdyW

b. Use the wrench that came with the reel and turn the cover counterclockwise.

Joao Tavares

RowdyW

Many thanks. Will try that.

Joao Tavares

Trying to solve the issue of the handle becoming harder to turn as drag pressure increases, I ordered new bearings from Dawn.

The bearings are really nice. There were already greased but I packed them even more with 2-4C.

I used the information from RowdyW, opened the cooling shield (Thank you RowdyW), and lubed up the spool bearings with TSI321 and lightly greased the CF drag washer which was dry as a bone.

Then I proceeded to replace both the pinnion and the left side bearings.

Situation improved a bit but there is still a difference in handle turn smoothness when Drag lever is at full. No difference up to Strike position, only between strike and full.

Moreover, to achieve a drag of around 22 lbs at full, the reel has very little free spool. At a nice free spool preset, max drag at full is around 15/16lbs.

What else can I do to improve both issues (drag and handle stiffness)?

Thank you
João

alantani

It it possible that you may have reached the performance limits of the reel.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Joao Tavares

It is a possibility yes, but they advertise 44lbs of drag at full, and I can't get nowhere near that mark without losing all free spool.

The handle becoming harder to turn as drag reaches 20lbs is quite annoying. If it wasn't for this, i'd try to modify the cam ramp or the belleville washers. But as it is, there is no advantage. Stop the fish but can't reel it in.

Other than that, looks like a nice reel.  ::)

João