First inshore slam today

Started by Three se7ens, August 04, 2018, 09:36:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Three se7ens

The weather finally cooperated for long enough for me to actually get out on the water today, and the tides were perfect.  The area was pretty new to me, being only the second time I had fished it.  But it turned out to be every bit as good as I had hoped after my first trip.  Launched just before sunrise, saw a bunch of tarpon rolling in the main channel, but wasnt really geared up for anything that big.  Moved along to where I had found some small seatrout last time, and was quickly on fish.  Caught a few keeper seatrout, release a handful more little ones, then got into a good size red drum.  The sea trout were blowing up a zara spook jr, and everything was hitting on the vudu shrimp.  I drifted into a little deeper water and got a soft bite, and a little dead weight before it started fighting, and I knew right away it was a flounder.  Got it in the boat, and claimed my first inshore slam.  And all before 9 am.  Spent a little more time exploring, and then picked up another nice flounder on the way back in.  Fantastic day on the water, and much needed after all this crap weather, and daily rain we have been getting. 

Fishy247

NICE! Sounds like an awesome day to me.  ;D

STRIPER LOU

Great!!!

Ya got some good eatin there too! Those summer flounder are delicious. If we have leftovers, they make excellent fish taco's.

Regard's  ............  Lou

Reel 224

Thick flatties enjoy!...............joe 
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Swami805

Yak fishing at it's finest,great way to spend a morning!
Do what you can with that you have where you are

TexasShark

Nice! What part of the coast do you fish? Most of my kayaking is in Galveston since both of my brothers live between Houston and Galveston. Want to yak East Matagorda soon, and down in Port A and Corpus area soon as well. Been surf fishing recently. The mullet run on PINS last week was awesome. Tarp on rolled close to my top water and got a little nervous! Caught about 20 specs and 8 or 9 reds. Kept 4 of each being a 2 day trip. In the process of upgrading my Penn 9/0. Waiting for a drag insert, SS dogs, and SS sleeve. Then I'll start targeting my first shark from the beach. Just wish Austin wasn't so far from the coast to fish regularly.

Darin Crofton

God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?

Benni3

That's sounds like a fun day :D did you fish in Savannah  ;D

akfish

Well done. But why isn't the black drum part of the slam. Or is it a Super Slam? Something to look forward to!!
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Three se7ens

Quote from: Benni3 on October 26, 2018, 11:54:21 PM
That's sounds like a fun day :D did you fish in Savannah  ;D

I fish in the Savannah, Ga area, but I use that pretty broadly.  I regularly fish from Hilton Head, SC to St Simons, GA.  Depends a lot on tide, how busy the launch is, and when Im fishing.  I fish Tybee Island a lot in the off season, but its too crowded in the summer to be any good after 8 am. 

The black drum isnt that popular as a game fish here.  They are good eating but not really a target for sport fishing.

Interesting this came up today, I just fished tybee today and got another slam.  And a pretty epic day of fishing too.  Total of 5 reds, 3 trout, and a flounder.  2 of the reds were overslot, and the trout were the biggest I have seen this year. 

TexasShark

Good deal. The only fishing I've done that way is Chandeluer Islands off the coast of Mississippi and Louisiana.