Hello from SE Michigan

Started by tincanary, August 03, 2018, 11:40:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tincanary

Howdy everybody, fine board you have here.  I recently got into modifying reels and stumbled upon this place and it has everything I could hope for.  For a little background, I fished spinning gear most of my life, but close to 20 years ago, my uncle got me an Abu 5600AB as a high school graduation gift and from then on I was a baitcaster man.  With life getting in the way, I took about a decade long hiatus from fishing and got back into it a couple of years back.  I broke out the old 5600AB and it just didn't feel as good as it used to, so being the tinkerer that I am, disassembled it and noticed all of the peanut butter inside used from manufacturing.  Then I found this place and read about hotrodding the Abu reel and down the black hole I went.

Fast forward a couple weeks, and now my 5600AB is chock full of ABEC7 bearings on the spool, dual ABEC7 worm gear, a bearing on the idler gear, ceramic pawl, and carbon drag washers.  I also removed the anti-backlash mechanism, installed a power handle, and added a 6 puck brake.  This baby is smooooooth now, much better than i ever remember it.  It'll be my main hunk of machinery for my 9'6" drift rod, can't wait for the incoming steelhead season.  I'm ready!

Gobi King

Welcome from West MI, sounds like you have an awesome chromer killa.
Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

tincanary

Quote from: Gobi King on August 03, 2018, 12:12:24 PM
Welcome from West MI, sounds like you have an awesome chromer killa.

I'm hoping.  Another month or so and the action should be heating up.  It can't come soon enough, they are great on the smoker.

Gobi King

yeah, where do you fish steelies?

I need to pick up some fresh salmon eggs to float for them.

yum, I take mine to Big Os to smoke them,
Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

tincanary

Quote from: Gobi King on August 03, 2018, 01:40:42 PM
yeah, where do you fish steelies?

I need to pick up some fresh salmon eggs to float for them.

yum, I take mine to Big Os to smoke them,

Down this way, the Clinton River and Huron River, but I don't eat them from those waters due to the so-so water quality.  I have family up in the Mio area and usually fish the Rifle and Au Sable during the fall and winter, that's some fine eatin'!

foakes

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Alto Mare

Welcome Tincan...enjoy your stay.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Reel 224

Welcome tincanary From Central NJ...................Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

happyhooker

Welcome, tc, from Minnesota.

Frank

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

bhale1

welcome Tincanary....
Brett from AZ