Hello All! Dam Quick UL's

Started by W8LON, August 05, 2018, 04:54:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

W8LON

Hello all, been lurking as a guest for awhile, time to join in. Have been collecting and repairing reels for forty years for my own use. Italian spinning reels, Orvis, Ted Williams, True Temper, now Eagle Claw(Ofmer). Also have a few Dam Quicks with the UL collection nearly fulfilled with yesterdays find a 1001 with a broken bail catch. It appears that a 265 catch could be used as a substitute but also hard to find. Perhaps I will fabricate a new one from brass sheet stock as the original aluminum appears to be the weak link with these later reels. Have the 110N, 265 Microlite, and now 1001. Someday 110 and 1000 if they made one.
I may have a Reel problem! Collector and user of an eclectic mix of reels to be torn apart and improved if needed. English Centrepin reels, Adcock Stanton's, Harlow. Swedish ABU, Cardinal 4's, Baitcasters, Korean CD4's, 1000,2000,3000. Italian spinning reels, Orvis 100,100A, Ted Williams 300,350, 410, True Temper 333, Eagle Claw(Ofmer) hi speeds ECRU, ECQ. DAM Quicks with more to find!

W8LON

An UL Quick user collection.
I may have a Reel problem! Collector and user of an eclectic mix of reels to be torn apart and improved if needed. English Centrepin reels, Adcock Stanton's, Harlow. Swedish ABU, Cardinal 4's, Baitcasters, Korean CD4's, 1000,2000,3000. Italian spinning reels, Orvis 100,100A, Ted Williams 300,350, 410, True Temper 333, Eagle Claw(Ofmer) hi speeds ECRU, ECQ. DAM Quicks with more to find!

Danwin22

Hi, I'm fairly new here too.

Lots of good info here and the guys have the patience of a fisherman.

USAF 1958-'62   NRA Member

swill88

Rivverrat

Welcome, the DAM Quick reels are problematic, terrible reels. Get maybe a season of use out of them maybe two. With extremely high maitanance.

Most here hate them.

That's the truth of it at least until I find the two I'm looking for

happyhooker

Welcome, anglers, from Minnesota.

Frank

philaroman

hey, I know that red thingamajig on the fore grip
1st one I've seen in use, aside from my own
works better, if its closer to the spool

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

foakes

Welcome aboard, W8Lon —

Yes, there is a 110, as well as a 1000.

I, also, enjoy most Microlite or small spinners.  And the DQ's are some of my favorites.

Am not sure what part you refer to as the bail catch — but if you could clarify, I might have a couple of DQ parts lying around somewhere that I could help you with.

Nice selection of Micro's.

Welcome aboard!

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

W8LON

Fred, the weak link with these reels appears to be in the center of this photo. I could and should fabricate a brass replacement as the grain structure in bent aluminum makes it weak. Brass may however require a rebalance if the rotor due to weight difference. That would be great if you have one in stock as I really like the size!

Benni3

happyhooker

Quote from: W8LON on August 06, 2018, 08:46:24 PM
Fred, the weak link with these reels appears to be in the center of this photo. I could and should fabricate a brass replacement as the grain structure in bent aluminum makes it weak. Brass may however require a rebalance if the rotor due to weight difference. That would be great if you have one in stock as I really like the size!

Must be referring to the bail arm.

Frank

happyhooker

Quote from: philaroman on August 06, 2018, 07:48:39 AM
hey, I know that red thingamajig on the fore grip
1st one I've seen in use, aside from my own
works better, if its closer to the spool

I see the red thingamajig; what is it?

Frank

W8LON

Zodiac Mk 1 Futura inflateable with aluminum floor or on the thrift store rod? Well on the rod they had what appears to be a downrigger release of sorts for either trolling Walleye's or Pier fishing. I always preferred a thick rubber band myself, just a loop of line under the band.

W8LON

Have the bail and line roller, just the catch was broken. There may just be a more technical name for it enlighten at will.