Drags on hand

Started by RamseyReelRepair, August 06, 2018, 03:52:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RamseyReelRepair

Have y'all found any specific drag washer sizes to keep on hand or for specific reels?

West
Check out the website and gallery!
😎http://www.ramseyreelrepair.com😎

foakes

Whatever I get coming across the bench, is what I stock.

You will figure it out by seeing what you use the most of.

Typically, for me, drags get replaced on nearly every reel.  The reason is, I know that I will set them up with Cal's drag grease — better than the factory prep.

And...as long as I have the reel to work on anyway — it is an opportunity to do the right thing for the client.

It is sort of like replacing the clutch on a vehicle — but not resurfacing the flywheel, or changing out the throw-out bearing with a new one.

As long as you are already in there — best to get it done up front.

No issues later, as a rule...

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Reel 224

You can contact Dawn at smooth drag here on site or Brian. Tell them what Reels you have and they will fix you up.

Joe  
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

RamseyReelRepair

Thanks guys. I actually have some drags on the way from dawn for several reels I have on the bench right now. I just wasn't sure if I should be ordering things like drags as I get the reels or if I should be keeping some on hand.

West

SoCalAngler

I would talk to your customer then order what they want. I see no need to keep money tied up in drags that you may never use.

Reel 224

Quote from: SoCalAngler on August 06, 2018, 06:58:57 PM
I would talk to your customer then order what they want. I see no need to keep money tied up in drags that you may never use.

Agreed>........................Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

oc1

Or, invest in a punch set.  It will hasten the turn-around time for your customers and you will not have disassembled reels sitting around waiting for washers to arrive in the mail.
-steve

Reel 224

Quote from: oc1 on August 06, 2018, 07:28:20 PM
Or, invest in a punch set.  It will hasten the turn-around time for your customers and you will not have disassembled reels sitting around waiting for washers to arrive in the mail.
-steve

That is quite an investment in tools and material if he doesn't have that much of a rush on turnaround time, West is just starting out and he will see what he needs as far as equipment later on, when he builds some capital.

Joe 

RamseyReelRepair

Thanks for the pointers guys. Alan had warned me before to beware of ordering to much inventory. I appreciate the help.

West

handi2

I keep a huge inventory of Carbontex sets in my shop. I now buy the common ones as single pieces instead of buying the packaged sets. The Senator reels are an example. Lately I ordered and received 150 113H Carbontex washers. I dont use the small one in the kit for under the gear.

I keep at least a dozen for the TLD 20/25.

Also a bunch for the spinning reels.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Donnyboat

Hi West, I find it is best, to have some sheets of CF on hand just in case you need to make some in a hurry, from what I hear Dawn gets them in the mail pretty quick, also Mystic parts.com, I also have sheets of delrin on hand, good luck with your venture, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

oc1

Quote from: Reel 224 on August 06, 2018, 07:37:31 PM
he will see what he needs as far as equipment later on, when he builds some capital.
Good point Joe.  Wish I could justify the expense instead of hacking them out with shears and files.
-steve

alantani

Quote from: RamseyReelRepair on August 06, 2018, 08:17:07 PM
Thanks for the pointers guys. Alan had warned me before to beware of ordering to much inventory. I appreciate the help.

West

yeah, i pretty much have a dozen of everything........   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Reel 224

You senior repair guys are talking with many years of repair and have learned to have many parts in stock for the quantity of reels you have going in and out. West is just starting out, slow and steady wins the race.

Joe 

alantani

yeah, it got out of control pretty fast....... 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!