DAM Quick spinner -- Handle or knob upgrade?

Started by Decker, August 08, 2018, 04:55:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Decker

I've got a 330N that I just started using for light salt water.   Winding braid on it, I put the line under tension, and noticed that the knob on the crank is uncomfortably small, and would really like to put an EVA round knob on it.  Maybe a slightly longer arm would be good also.

Has anyone tried upgrading the knob on one of these?

Would the crank from any larger DAM Quick model fit a 330N?

festus

Yes, a 440N , 441N, or  550N knob will fit as long as you use the larger model knob screw with them.

festus

I just noticed I didn't answer your question correctly.  I betcha the 440N crank will fit a  330N since the bodies for both reels are the same.

mo65

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Decker

Thanks, guys.

Mo, I never noticed those; might go for it.    And another thing...  in the summer weather that 331N is noticeably faster than it had been in the colder months :)

Midway Tommy

Quote from: mo65 on August 08, 2018, 05:54:44 PM
Hi Joe,
    I don't remember how the knob attaches to that blade...I think it screwed in. Good ol' fleabay is loaded with handle options. You should be able to attach something like this. 8)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Replacement-Fishing-Reel-Handle-Knob-for-Baitcasting-Spinning-Fishing-Reels/132734772357?hash=item1ee79be485%3Ag%3A9UUAAOSwGnxbaYMF&_sop=10&_nkw=spinning+reel+handle+knob&_sacat=0&_from=R40&LH_BIN=1&rt=nc&LH_TitleDesc=0

The crank handle has female threads and the knob is retained by a threaded screw. Not sure that the screws in the "replacement" shown will slide through the handle threads, but it could easily be drilled out to accommodate that kit.   
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

festus

Joe, the handle knobs on the 440N and 550N are 1/2" longer than the 330N knob.  

The handle knob screws on the 440N and 550N are 1/4" longer than the 330N screw, but they work, same diameter and threads.

The handles on the 330N, 331N, 440N, and 441N are all the same, at least mine are.  The 550N handle is longer but too wide to match up.

You can most likely get those aftermarket parts that Mike posted cheaper than the stock D-A-M parts.  If I had spares I'd send them to you.

Decker

Thanks, Tommy and Festus for the good info.   I pulled the trigger on Mo's $5 EVA knob.  We'll see how it goes.

foakes

Hi Joe —

That EVA knob looks good — but shipping sez 8/24 to 9/28.

If it takes that long, I would consider ordering a half dozen at one time.  They can be easily used on your other reels also.

If you would like a new larger knob and new knob screw for a 550 that fits the 330N — just let me know and I will send them out, N/C.  You just have to file 3/16" off of the larger screw thread end so it fits flush with the backside of the crank.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Decker

Thanks, for the offer, Fred!  Now I see what Festus and Tommy are talking about.   "Most" of the time I am pleasantly surprised with the shipping time from China on eBay goods.  Let's see how it goes with the EVA; if well, then I'll get dozens next time  ;)

oldmanjoe

:)    I have looked at changing the handle on a 330 , and i would use a 270 handle .    It is a tic shorter than a 550 handle and not as bulky looking.
       I have a picture of a 270 handle sitting on a 330 with no knob .    Look were the center line for the knob would be ....
  Than there is other choices , I think this is a penn with home made wood handle .
   Stock handle with  1-1/2 and 1-3/4 dia wood.
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

mo65

Quote from: Decker on August 08, 2018, 09:10:30 PM
   "Most" of the time I am pleasantly surprised with the shipping time from China on eBay goods.  Let's see how it goes with the EVA; if well, then I'll get dozens next time  ;)

Joe has inspired me. I'm getting one of these for my Shakespeare 2065. I did the same...just ordered one...if the quality is there I'll prolly get more later. I've received almost all of these eBay Chinese handles within a few weeks. My brother had one handle get lost and the seller promptly reshipped. We ordered a pile of handles with the accepted notion that we'd get about half of what we ordered, but were surprised to see 100% delivered. 8)

oldmanjoe

I was just looking at my 331 , handle is about 2.500 center to center.
330 handle about 2.000 center to center.
270 handle about 2.600 center to center.

Are the N models about the same ?

Do you want to try a wooden knob  ?
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Midway Tommy

I find it interesting, and somewhat amusing, especially since I'm a freshwater only guy. A good number of y'all are toying with bigger knobs and I like a smaller grasp. I prefer the petite feel rather than an off balance feel of the larger ones that always seems to get in my way.  :)   
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

mo65

It's all dependent on the situation Tommy. If I were crappie fishing my 2065, the stock handle would be fine. But, I'm using mine for pier fishing. That's lifting a 2-4oz. sinker and hopefully a fish. Something substantial in your fist really helps here. Fishing my Mag 10 and 210 on that pier a few months ago is how I discovered what I need. The Mag 10 was modded with a smaller handle than stock...for casting musky plugs all day. It sucked on the pier fishing bait. The 210 has been modded with a big long offset crank with a 45mm EVA round knob. It rocked fishing hi-low rigs, but it would be horrible casting lures. 8)