DAM Quick spinner -- Handle or knob upgrade?

Started by Decker, August 08, 2018, 04:55:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

festus

Quote from: oldmanjoe on August 09, 2018, 02:30:47 AM
I was just looking at my 331 , handle is about 2.500 center to center.
330 handle about 2.000 center to center.
270 handle about 2.600 center to center.

Are the N models about the same ?
Oldmanjoe, the 330N models are about 2.6 or 2.7, but l'm eyeballing it with a ruler.

Midway Tommy

Quote from: mo65 on August 09, 2018, 04:30:08 AM
  It's all dependent on the situation Tommy. If I were crappie fishing my 2065, the stock handle would be fine. But, I'm using mine for pier fishing. That's lifting a 2-4oz. sinker and hopefully a fish. Something substantial in your fist really helps here. Fishing my Mag 10 and 210 on that pier a few months ago is how I discovered what I need. The Mag 10 was modded with a smaller handle than stock...for casting musky plugs all day. It sucked on the pier fishing bait. The 210 has been modded with a big long offset crank with a 45mm EVA round knob. It rocked fishing hi-low rigs, but it would be horrible casting lures. 8)

I get what you guys are after, I just don't use heavy weight or fish those circumstances. About the heaviest I fish is a 1/2 oz worm/bullet weight, maybe 3/4-1 oz if I'm trolling 25'-30' deep. Seldom use big lures, either, so it's tough to imagine going really heavy.  :)
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

oc1

I'm with Tommy on this.  Most of the cranking I do is mundane retrieving, not battling a monster.  That can be a lot of wrist action in the course of a day.  The amount the wrist has to move to make one revolution is a function of the length of the handle and the circumference of that circle.  A small handle will save a lot of effort and make it easier to crank fast and speed up the retrieve.  I've never lost a fish on light tackle because the short handle was too hard to turn.  I've lost plenty of fish because I couldn't crank fast enough to keep the line tight on them.
-steve

Decker

Tommy and Steve, thanks, point taken...  I don't think I'll try to lengthen the handle at this time. We're pushing these reels beyond their original intended usage when we use them for bottom fishing like Mo said.  I gather the gears can take the pressure, but my fingers on that little knob suffer.  For fast cranking a spinning reel, a fingertip hold is good, but if I'm bringing up 3-6 oz of lead from 80 ft, that gets old fast.  For the latter I want a knob that I can hold closer to the palm of the hand. I think the smaller EVA knobs can work well for both situations.  Make sense?

Oldmanjoe, cool handles!   I have a wooden one on my 650SS that a member here gave me.  I like the pancake knob too.

mo65

Quote from: Decker on August 09, 2018, 01:53:53 PM
  For fast cranking a spinning reel, a fingertip hold is good, but if I'm bringing up 3-6 oz of lead from 80 ft, that gets old fast.  For the latter I want a knob that I can hold closer to the palm of the hand.

This is what I'm thinking too...I'm not interested in a longer blade...just a more substantial knob. When I was at Virginia Beach I noticed this is a very popular modification with the locals. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

mo65

Quote from: Decker on August 08, 2018, 08:30:42 PM
Thanks, Tommy and Festus for the good info.   I pulled the trigger on Mo's $5 EVA knob.  We'll see how it goes.

Hey Joe, did your EVA knob ever show yet? I ordered a few handles and that knob but the knob is still MIA. I may dismantle one of the handles I bought...looks like the knob on it could be fitted to my 2065 Shakespeare.

Decker

Quote from: mo65 on September 03, 2018, 02:36:35 PM
Quote from: Decker on August 08, 2018, 08:30:42 PM
Thanks, Tommy and Festus for the good info.   I pulled the trigger on Mo's $5 EVA knob.  We'll see how it goes.

Hey Joe, did your EVA knob ever show yet? I ordered a few handles and that knob but the knob is still MIA. I may dismantle one of the handles I bought...looks like the knob on it could be fitted to my 2065 Shakespeare.

Got a tracking number on the knob, but no U.S. updates yet.   I've had a similar experience before, complained and got a refund, only to have the item arrive a short time later...  I'll wait a bit.

mo65

Quote from: Decker on September 04, 2018, 06:27:51 PM
Quote from: mo65 on September 03, 2018, 02:36:35 PM

Got a tracking number on the knob, but no U.S. updates yet.   I've had a similar experience before, complained and got a refund, only to have the item arrive a short time later...  I'll wait a bit.

Those tracking numbers they use never seem to update. I guess I was rushing things again. The knob showed up today. It was a cinch to mount...came with plenty of hardware...and feels rock solid. 5 bucks well spent! 8)

xjchad

Husband, Father, Fisherman

foakes

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.