Rod Guilds

Started by mrbrklyn, August 08, 2018, 06:03:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrbrklyn

Is it possible to remove the guilds from a broken Terez rod so I can recycle them without damaging the guilds?

thorhammer

you should be able to use  a sharp cheap knife and cut through the threads to remove guide. be careful and go slow. i do this all the time. cut to the side of the guide so you can just pull the guide off.

Reel 224

thorehamer is right, I use a box cutter to cut the thread just below the guide foot on both feel so as to remove the thread and lift the guide without damaging it. If you pull on the guide to remove the thread you could bend or damage the guide.

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Fishy247

Use a lighter or an alcohol torch to heat the epoxy coating the guides before you try to cut the threads. It will soften up and make it much easier to cut into. Much safer too!

Mike

oc1

I use some sort of razor knife and cut on top of the foot.  You can bare down on it a little because if the knife goes too deep it will only hit the metal foot of the guide and not the rod.
-steve

droppedit

I usually do this on the lathe. Remember, too much heat will melt the resins in the blank and destroy it! Carefully heat while rod is spinning with a heat gun and then use a #11 scalpel blade to pick under the tunnel of the guide. If you just cut a few threads you'll be able to pull them and the rod will spin while the thread unwinds. This will insure that you don't cut into the blank. If under wrapped do the same thing but cut very carefully at one end of the under wrap to pick up the thread and unwind. After I will take some #400 wet sandpaper and very lightly smooth out and build up of epoxy before I do the re-wrap. Be very careful with any blades. If you cut too far and go into the blank there is a good chance it will fail when you need it most.
I can't stress careful enough. Many graphite and composites have very thin walls and small diameters. All it takes is one oh Sh*t and a good blank is gone.

Steve has great advise about cutting on the guide foot if you can get into the tunnel beside it.

Dave
Some days the supply of available curse words is insufficient to meet my demands.

http://www.turnerscustomrods.com

Swami805

Heat gun will make it much easier when the coating is soft. Box cutter or utility knife and cuts thru it like butter.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

droppedit

Quote from: mrbrklyn on August 08, 2018, 08:39:38 PM

well the rod is snapped, so who cares.

Thought you were trying to save a good rod.
Some days the supply of available curse words is insufficient to meet my demands.

http://www.turnerscustomrods.com

bluefish69

The guides you are removing are not good enough for the Black Hole Blank. You need Fugi's of good quality.
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Jeri

Quote from: mrbrklyn on August 09, 2018, 04:14:40 AM
Quote from: bluefish69 on August 09, 2018, 03:37:16 AM
The guides you are removing are not good enough for the Black Hole Blank. You need Fugi's of good quality.

Fuji K Guide with Alconite Rings,?

I thought the guilds were one of the most important part of the terez's innovation.

Check that the guides that you are salvaging are truly Fuji. Shimano are apt to using cheaper copies on some of their rods for cost saving. Only Fuji guides have 'Fuji' stamped in the side of the frame. If the name isn't stamped there, they are copies!!!

Cor

Quote from: oc1 on August 08, 2018, 08:08:39 PM
I use some sort of razor knife and cut on top of the foot.  You can bare down on it a little because if the knife goes too deep it will only hit the metal foot of the guide and not the rod.
-steve
That's the proven way to remove them.   If very light guide take extra care to cut through the threads and epoxy. 
Cornelis

Rivverrat

There is a possibility the inserts will pop lose or develop a crack. More so than when using Fuji. Far less headaches long term with Fuji guides than most others... Jeff

Jeri

Quote from: mrbrklyn on September 01, 2018, 09:29:50 PM
Quote from: bluefish69 on August 09, 2018, 03:37:16 AM

can you give me more detail on this?

Shimano are notorious for using cheaper 'look alike' rings/guides on their rods, to keep the unit price down. See this almost weekly with the repair side of our business - cracked ceramic inserts (shredding line) or inserts that have pooped out. By comparison have very, very few instances of the same problems with Fuji guides.

Jeri

Fuji stamp their name on all their guides, right down to the smallest sizes. Other companies have since followed, but naming your products is not a sign of reputation, just identity. Reputation is something else!

boon

Quote from: mrbrklyn on September 02, 2018, 07:10:30 PM
QuoteFuji stamp their name on all their guides, right down to the smallest sizes. Other companies have since followed, but naming your products is not a sign of reputation, just identity. Reputation is something else!

How is it not fraud though, that Shimno is advertising they are using Fuji guilds, but they are giving you knockoffs. 

If Shimano say they're using Fuji components then they're probably genuine Fujis. The thing is that Fuji is just like a car manufacturer, say Nissan. Just because you buy a Nissan does not mean you are getting a GT-R. They make cheap guides and they make very good guides, and the company building the rod can spec whatever they want. It takes a very good eye to look at a guide and say "oh that's a Fuji K series silicon carbide".

I've seen Shimano rods with everything from Pac-bay to Sea-guide to Alps to Fuji. I've got a rod from another manufacturers that had a Fuji K stripper guide then Alps on the rest of rod. All of the manufacturers make good guides, bad guides, and kinda alright guides, the name that is or isn't stamped into it means little.