Rod selection for DAM Quick 270 reels

Started by grg32, August 16, 2018, 10:01:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grg32

Hey guys, I tried the search function thinking this may have been covered, no luck.  So, here is the question.  I have two new (to me) DAM Quick 270 reels enroute to the house.  I bought them in error, but will now turn lemons into something drinkable.  I spend most of my time freshwater fishing and do not have a lot of time saltwater.  When I do go, I go for rockfish, cobia and drum in the Chesapeake Bay.  For these two DAM Quick reels, I would like to have rods from the same time period (old school) primarily for jigging off the side of the boat.  I don't see much time for surf fishing or fishing off a jetty, so I think a rod I can use on the boat would be used more often.  I was thinking #20 lb test line (which could easily change based on your thoughts).  I want to have fiberglass rods and was hoping to get suggestions on rod brand names, rod length, action, line weight, lure weight...etc.  I am not afraid of rebuilding a rod if I have to, especially if the age of the rod closely matches the reels (if I can).  So, what do you think?  What rods should I be looking for to pair with these reels?  Thanks to both Fred and Randy for their time, this forum is great.  Gary

swill88

There is a lot of Ugly sticks around with old school action to choose from.  I'd probably go to 30# for the bottom but...  I can't tell you any model numbers because I just can't remember shinola.

Like to see the lemonade  :D

Steve

Swami805

A 2 piece Harnell wouldn't break the bank and checks the boxes in your post. They pop up the the big auction site quite a bit just got to be patient to get one that's not over priced. A lot of old glass rods ended up as tomato stakes, most hung onto Harnells
Do what you can with that you have where you are

grg32

Thanks Steve...good to know re the #30, will keep that in the mix.  Thanks Swami...I will poke around the auctions for a Harnell...let's see what pops up.  There is no rush on these at all so your suggestion makes perfect sense.  Thanks! G