CA. Tomatoes

Started by Alto Mare, August 10, 2018, 02:03:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

Wayne, I wanted to post a pic of these gorgeous tomatoes from your neck of the woods.
They're still green, they got a late start, but coming along nicely.
The reason I wanted to show a pic or two is that I might lose them all this year. I have been planting tomatoes there for over 20 years and it took a California Tomato to attract Squirrels ;D. I caught one walking away with a nice one in his mouth ::).
I'm sure he'll be back.

Bricks are 8" x 2 1/2", just to give an idea on size

Thanks again Wayne for the seeds, I hope I get to taste a few.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Reel 224

Sal: A 22cal. pill will take care of that! ;D ;). I lost an entire crop of Tomato's one year to the deer, I was fuming. so I put up an electric fence, that took care of them eating my tomato plants. My son and grandson hunts my property also. That's a win win for me, venison and critter control. ;) :D

Joe 
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Shark Hunter

Sal,
We plant Marigolds in front of ours and it has always worked.
Life is Good!

gstours

Thanks for the big Tom pik,,,,,butt we got to wait,  n watching, worry Z me.    You got the temperature 🤒. You need to relax.   Fishing isn't everything 🤔🤷‍♂️🤦‍♀️🍷🎣

harryk3616

frigging squirels liked my cherry tomatoes last year, no tomatoes this year .  harryk

HOLEINTHEWATER

Long Enuff

Before she got too old, Lucy would keep my squirrel population under control.  With a little pellet gun help of course.

Bill

El Pescador

Sal,

WOW!!!!  You've got it going back east!!!

You have made those tomato seeds take hold back east as well.   Good for you.

Question, I send you two packets of seeds:  Package A & Package B.

Which one did you plant & photograph???

I'll send your post to my construction buddy, I know he will enjoy reading of your success,

As far as the squirrels, here in San Mateo, we call them... "Furry Tailed Rats" for all the right reasons.

Buddy Jim has an aging German shorthair as his hunting dog, and on its own, the dog killed 13 rats (the regular variety) one evening last summer.   I like the idea of a .22 with bird shot. Effective and NO ONE gets hurt.

Send more of your tomato harvest as they continue to produce!!!

We are in Bishop, CA (Google it) and will be fishing the So. Fk of Bishop Creek around the 8,000' & 9,000' elevations.

And tomorrow, Jennifer and I will drive to the White Mountains, home of the oldest growing specimen in the world.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methuselah_(tree)

Photos & post to follow,

Wayne
Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

gstours

Photo of the tree,  pleeze. ;)

Alto Mare

Wayne, can't tell you which are A or B because I got mixed up and lost track.
One think I do know for sure, these are the best tomatoes I ever had.
I wanted to try one raw, with just some olive oil and a little salt to get the full flavor

very little seeds, just a few around the edge. These are really meaty and very  flavorful

Can't wait to try them chopped up and fried in some olive oil with a little garlic and toss some perciatelli al dente. :)
Thanks again Wayne.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Reel 224

Some nice meaty tomato's, also nice BLT tomato's.

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

conchydong

I love me some 'maters and they look great. A little S&P and I could eat them for breakfast , lunch and dinner.

STRIPER LOU

Those look really good. Are they heirloom tomatoes, Sal?

Some of those can be so sweet, its like eating fruit. Nothing beats a good, fresh picked tomato!

.....................Lou

Alto Mare

Yes, I believe so Lou. Those were started from seeds and transplanted when only 2" in height. They say not to at that height, but I never had issues. Plants are now kept at 6' and yes the squirrels are still enjoying them ::).

Sal

Reel 224

That must be a good sunny spot, and protected from wind. Usually High Breads are sustainable when they are protected from air born fungus which they are rather prone to. Good crop Sal.

Joe