My 331 needs a companion

Started by TJAndrews, August 11, 2018, 04:31:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TJAndrews

Many, many years ago, some 45 or so, my parents gave me a Quick 331 Finessa for Christmas. Mom had found it on a markdown rack in a now-defunct discount department store. Maybe it was the display model, maybe it had been discontinued, maybe both, but Mom, being very proud of the purchase, told me she had picked it up for $5. It even came with an extra spool, with a cork insert for one spool and a white plastic one for the other. It was the best reel I had ever used up until that time.

It still is. Even after 45 years of use, it still works as nice as the day I opened the box. The only repair I've ever had to make is to replace the bail spring, twice. (I now carry a pair of replacements in my tackle box, just in case. Cheapest insurance I'll ever buy.) I have it mounted to a custom-made rod that I put together myself, using a 7-foot Ugly Stik blank and parts I had salvaged from its predecessor, which had met with an untimely end due to an unfortunate boating accident. (Never again will I climb out of the boat while holding a fishing rod...) The rod is strong, every bit as strong as the reel. The action is perfect, and the balance, well, it's like the rod was MADE for that reel. Which, actually, it was.

I don't get nearly enough time to go fishing, but every year we do make the time for a full week on the St. Lawrence River, near Ogdensburg, NY. We drift-fish mostly, looking for walleyes and smallmouths like the ones in the photos (from last week). Battling with fish like those in that St. Lawrence current gives one an appreciation of the quality of a Quick reel.

Which finally brings me around to my point. I have another reel that was a present from my parents, only earlier. It's a Garcia Mitchel 304. The low end of the Mitchel line at the time, it's a good enough reel for what it is, but it's no DAM Quick. I used it last week, picking up a smallmouth about 2 inches shorter than the one in the photo. I got the fish in, but it wasn't near as much fun as it would have been with a better reel. It was then that I decided to retire the 304, and replace it with another Quick.

But which one to go after? Another 331 would be great, but would I be just as happy with another of the line? A 330? Maybe a 220 or 221, if they aren't TOO much smaller than the 331. I don't want anything bigger, I think. And what about the gear ratio? About the only time I use that high speed cranking is when a smallie decides to take a run straight at me - would I be OK with one of the slower reels? And what about those Finessas I see on eBay, the ones without a number, how do they compare?

Inquiring minds want to know.

foakes

Welcome aboard, TJ!

You have a few options, from what you described.

220 & 221 are also tough reels.  The 221 is the high speed 5:1 ratio like your 331.

330 is the companion to your 331 — only the 330 has a 3:1 ratio.

The Finessa is a very good choice since they have a 3:1 ratio & a metal spool which will also work on your 331.

Depending on conditions, I always prefer to have a 3:1 with me for low gear cranking power — and also a high speed if casting in current where the bait presentation needs to be naturally downstream — and the setup needs to stay above and off the bottom.

Your old 331 has a lot of good family memories and history.  These are bullet-proof reels.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

TJAndrews

Thanks for the welcome and the info, Fred. It is much appreciated.

So, I take it that the Finessa is essentially an older version of the 330? Other than the metal spool, what would the differences be?

foakes

All about the same, TJ, between the Finessa and the 330.

Most parts will interchange to a point — some will not.

The 280 Finessa came out in '56.  There was another model that came out in '59 — which was the 285.

Just slight differences — nothing of a mechanical improvement.

Few folks know how good these old Finessas are.  They get laughed at because they are old school, ugly, and do not have the latest 5 stack drags.  

However, they do not take offense, and just keep bringing in the fish — decades after the Tupperware Wonders have been bought, discarded, tossed in the trash, and forgotten.

The Finessas, coupled with the right long rod, will handle nearly anything in fresh water — ranging from trout, cats, stripers, salmon, northerns, walleyes, Lakers, Giant European Carp.

They were over-built to last a lifetime, or more —  by German engineers and machinists, who took immense pride in their angling and mechanical craftsmanship skills.  This was an era when reels were produced as a tool designed to over-perform effectively and not needing replacement every couple of seasons.

To me, the Finessas are like an old 30-30 or an 870 — they just do their assigned mission quietly, reliably and effectively — with no fanfare...forever.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

TJAndrews

Ah, so those two spare bail springs should work on a Finessa, should I get one of those. Good to know.

foakes

Yep, they will, TJ —

If you get a Finessa,and if it needs any parts — let me know.

Should have anything needed.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

festus

Hi TJ, you've come to the right place to learn about D-A-M Quicks.  My story is similar to yours.  On my 16th birthday my parents got me a 220 on a no-name 7' fiberglass medium action spinning rod.  

A year ago tomorrow, I joined this site. At the time I had only the one Quick previously mentioned.  A few days later, I lucked out and found a 220N, an incomplete 550N, and the Finessa you mentioned for 16 bucks. Didn't take long to get hooked.  Earlier this week the postman delivered a 330N from ebay that completed my collection of the Finessas.  Yes, now I have all the 110-550 series including the high speed models.  Also have the complete N series including the high speeds.

It took a lot of coaching from Fred, Tommy, Mo, and many more on this site, plus you tube videos but now I have the confidence to at least attempt to repair any reel.

You mentioned what is the difference between the Finessa and the 330 series.  Not that much.  The Finessa pinion bearing isn't held in place with a snap ring, 330 and 331 pinion bearing uses a snap ring.  The 330/331 is a little larger than a 220/221, here's a side to side comparison in the attached photo.

TJAndrews

Well, that didn't take long.

I have been watching reels on eBay through the week, and I noticed something. People were bidding on reels listed as needing a repair or another, eventually paying something like $20-25 or more once shipping was taken into account. Meanwhile, reels listed as Buy it now at a price+shipping of $25 or over, no matter what the condition, just sit there. Strange. It was obvious I wasn't going to find one for less than $20 by watching and waiting.

So I wound up buying a lot of two for a total of $39. The description was rather poorly written, but photos indicate a 330 and a 331, both of which are supposed to be operational. They look it. I might have doubted it, if I didn't know how tough my own 331 is. We'll see.

Of course, I shouldn't have bought two when I only needed one, but that's the way things go - still seemed like the best thing to do at the time. I won't be sure what I might do until they get here and I can examine them. I might sell one on eBay. Then again, maybe I'll build myself another rod that I don't need this winter...

I brought up an online inflation calculator and put in the $5 my mother said she paid for the original reel, using 1973 as the year. It said that would equal $28 today. So, at $19.50 each, I did better than she did. HA!

festus

That was actually a good idea to order two reels.  Ebay reels commonly have little glitches or lack a couple of parts.  Maybe a missing drag washer, bent handle, missing retainer clip, missing screw, etc.  Most parts interchange on the 330 and 331.  Usually whenever I buy an old classic reel, I buy another for parts.  It didn't take long to accumulate 24 D-A-M Quicks I don't need.  ;D

happyhooker

Welcome, TJA, from Minnesota. And, thanks for the great fishing stories.

I have a 220, and like it just fine.  Will eventually get one of the smaller Quicks so I can see what everyone raves about. They are well made (an understatement).

Your cash outlays, and Moms, --don't worry about them.  To get reels today like the quality ones you have, even if you could find them which you probably can't, would cost mucho dinero.  You've got among the best reels out there for the lowest $$, and that always translates to a bargain, good investment and fun fishing.

Frank

TJAndrews

OK, so there'll be a longer than usual delay before my reels are shipped, because the seller is on a fishing trip this week. I'm OK with that - I won't *need* the reels for a while anyway. But in the meantime it's fun to speculate on what I'll do with the extra reel should both be in good shape.

At the moment I'm leaning toward using it, but that's gonna mean getting another rod. I really like my homemade Ugly Stik, and thought one of them would make a good choice, but I was concerned that today's rods, designed for today's lighter reels, wouldn't be as well balanced for the older Quicks.

Not knowing any better, when I built my rods I just took a jolly good guess, coupled with what fit my limited budget. And I liked what I got. But that was pre-Internet. So now Google and I did some research, and learned how to determine if a rod and reel are balanced, according to the experts. Then I checked my 331 on my homemade Ugly Stik and on the rod I made for the retiring Mitchell 304, just to see how close they really are.

Both are way off, rod-heavy rather than reel-heavy. According to experts, either my reels should be much heavier, or they should be mounted farther from the butt of the rods. And the Ugly Stik, the one I have liked the most for the past 20+ years, is the one that's the farthest off. Fascinating. That's what I get for consulting with "experts." What do they know about what's best for *ME*?

But anyway, it looks like a modern Ugly Stik Elite, made of lighter materials, and with a somewhat longer cork handle (I like cork MUCH better than foam), should be a decent fit, according to those experts. I have some "rewards points" pending, so I can get one from Bass Pro for almost nothing. Maybe I'll get used to it, eventually.

Midway Tommy

QuoteBoth are way off, rod-heavy rather than reel-heavy. According to experts, either my reels should be much heavier, or they should be mounted farther from the butt of the rods. And the Ugly Stik, the one I have liked the most for the past 20+ years, is the one that's the farthest off. Fascinating. That's what I get for consulting with "experts." What do they know about what's best for *ME*?

That's why all of my spinning rods have cork Tennessee handles with slip rings. That way I can mount any reel, as long as it's the appropriate size for the rod weight & length, wherever it feels best for me. Wrist and arm strength have a lot to do with whether or not a combo feels balanced.

On another note, check out local flea markets & pawn shops for a decent quality used rod and rebuilt it to your own liking. They'll practically give them away around here. I've seen a lot of rod/reel combos, especially on ugly sticks, at the pawn shop for $5-$10.   
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

TJAndrews

Quote from: Midway Tommy on August 15, 2018, 01:53:58 AM
Wrist and arm strength have a lot to do with whether or not a combo feels balanced.

On another note, check out local flea markets & pawn shops for a decent quality used rod and rebuilt it to your own liking. They'll practically give them away around here. I've seen a lot of rod/reel combos, especially on ugly sticks, at the pawn shop for $5-$10.   

That might explain some of it. I'm a farmer by trade, so I do a lot of work with my hands and arms. Having just turned 69 I'm feeling it in my knees, but not so much in my arms - yet. That also explains why I don't get away to go fishing as much as I'd like. Too much work to do.  :(

Good idea on the flea markets. That'll be something to look into when the growing season is over. Also, Black Friday and Cyber Monday in November.

TJAndrews

It's like being a kid on Christmas morning. Tracking this morning says the reels have arrived at my local post office.  They should be here in today's mail.  ;D

Will post a photo or two when I get the chance.

TJAndrews

Well, they're here. See the photos. The three in this post are of the 331, the 330 in the next one.

Both reels look good, for the most part. They are functional, although when you crank it feels like they need some newer, lighter grease in the gearbox. The 331 has some mono wrapped around the shaft under the spool, but not enough to have damaged anything. And I can't imagine that the drag on the 330's spool could possibly work right with all that grease there.

All in all, a good deal.