Fishing the Pflueger Templar 1420 1/2, etc...

Started by The Great Maudu, August 15, 2018, 01:25:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thorhammer

Good luck Mike! the Nautil is prolly late 90's / turn of century i think...i had forgotten them and that one is nice!

The Great Maudu

Caught a nice 4 footer this afternoon on the Nautil. I'm very impressed by the quality of this reel. It couldn't have performed any better and the drags are really smooth. Earlier this evening I had the Pflueger Templar back out. Had a great run but  when I went to set the hook the shark broke the surface and the line went slack. I think my knot attaching the hundred pound leader didn't hold. That's not a good feeling. Anyway we're cstching plenty of fish and having fun. Tomorrow night it's on the pier and the big rigs will be out in force.

Reel 224

Nice job! and the rod handle looks good...........................Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

The Great Maudu

Thanks Joe. I wrapped the rod handle with self sticking grip wrap like they use on tennis rackets. The old rods with wooden grips are are almost impossible to control when the fore grip gets wet or has fish slime on it. These wraps make a huge difference. It's no fun trying to wind in a hard fighting fish when you can't keep the reel upright.

Shark Hunter

Awesome Mike!
I hope you catch another Tiger. ;)
That Blacktip would be some good eating at that size.
They are so plentiful, I'm going to do that soon when I get one that is hooked in a bad way.
Baked Potato and Blacktip Dinner. :P
Life is Good!

The Great Maudu

I caught that fish using a homemade float with a 12" ladyfish, hooked through the mouth, and swimming around. The Blacktip churned up the water when he struck. It's amazing how strong they are.

thorhammer

swill88

sdlehr

Quote from: The Great Maudu on August 21, 2018, 03:55:39 PM
Sid, it has the same arrangement. I would like to try a set of carbon fiber washers. Know where I might find some?
Nope, but if you measure them and get in touch with Dawn I bet she could help you out!
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

oc1

The Great Maudu

This morning was spent running around looking for a 10 - 15 pound Bonita for shark fishing tonight. No luck anywhere. Plenty of 3,4 and 5 pounders but that's no good. So, Julia and I decided to go back down and fish from our beach. We each had half a ladyfish for bait. Julia caught a nice blue with her half so we cut the head off and she used that. She has a Penn 340 she got from Alan because it's easier for her to use a level wind. When the fish hit the bait I thought it was to Spool the reel. But, Julia played it perfectly and brought in a nice healthy 4 1/2 foot Blacktip.

Shark Hunter

Great Job Julia! ;D
Nice Bluefish and Blacktip.
Mike, Your baits don't have to be huge.
Elephants eat peanuts. ;)
Life is Good!

The Great Maudu

That's true but, I can't ever remember catching a small fish on a huge bait.  :P

The Great Maudu

Last night I caught a pretty nice Black Tip on the Templar and Bamboo rod. Julia took some good video of the action and I'll post it later. It includes the high pitched whine these Templar make and it is a very distinct sound. Also, if you haven't caught a nice fighting fish on a bamboo rod you ought to give it a try. The long, slow, parabolic bend they achieve puts a lot of pressure on a fish. As much fun as it is to collect this vintage stuff, it's even more fun to fish with it. Here's a couple pics from last night.

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!