Dealing with sea-sickness

Started by Decker, August 17, 2018, 04:34:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikeysm

I never had sea sickness even after six years in the Navy. I was on a charter in Morro Bay once and everyone but just a few of us got sick. They were chuming all day long.

Mike

theswimmer

Scopalamine .
Never been sick once using it.
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

happyhooker

Whatever you do/use, it's gotta be before you feel the crap coming on. If you wait until you're starting to get sick, it's too late.  I'm usually OK with dramamine or something similar.  I have the Sea Bands that put pressure on the "magic spot" on the inside of the wrists; I don't know if they help, but I usually wear them.  I speak mostly of airsickness, since I do no saltwater fishing.  I think some people just have inner ears that are set up for motion sickness.  I have had vertigo a couple of times, and it's even worse that motion sickness, although they both originate from the inner ear.

Frank

kmstorm64

A couple of things to add:
Position yourself on the center of the vessel, the rocking diminishes more in the center and exacerbates at the bow and stern

look towards the horizon, Looking toward the deck or close to the boat intensifies the effect.

Drink water, for many people who chum a lot, the consumption of alcohol the night before will not do you any favors. As alcohol dehydrates you, which in turn doesn't help your stomach out. The moment I start to feel anything going on, I drink a 1/2 to whole quart of water.

That normally  settles things out. The sea breeze has been known to dehydrate people, and we don't notice it, as it is usually cooler than a shore breeze. let your urine be your guide, if you aren't urinating, or it is dark you are need to put down a quart or two. Don't under estimate the effects of water on seasickness. For those of you with inner issues this may not help as much, but for the rest of us, it is cheap medicine.

Stay in fresh air, the cabin as many have noted  can have some nasty stale air.

I also take Bonine the night before, and it does help, so does Dramamine and prescription Scopolamine.

I would also suggest seeing an Audiologist, as you may have an inner ear issue that you didn't know about.
Bad day of fishing still beats a good day at work!

Tiddlerbasher

x2 on the inner ear issue - I've had motion sickness problems for ever - not nice >:(
I was recently diagnosed with Meniere's disease - I wont be in a boat anytime soon - megga crud >:( >:(

Cor

Just something Ive not seen mentioned here,  be careful with driving when you have some seasick pills inside of you.
Many years ago I went to sea with some old guys on a large diesel boat that rolled a lot, also got pretty sick and took pills for it.

On my way home after the trip along a winding coastal road I just cut the corner, drove right over the curb for no reason whatsoever, damaging my front wheel.   Could have been a lot more serious.

Many people that are normally fine at sea, can sometimes get seasick under the right conditions, I still do as well. ;D
Cornelis

JAW1973

There is an interesting Vice documentary about scopalamine.  Seems people are using it for other than treating sea sickness.  Makes me wonder what it actually does to your body to fight off the sea sickness.

Dominick

Any chance you can post a link to that documentary?  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Decker

Quote from: JAW1973 on September 08, 2018, 08:12:04 AM
There is an interesting Vice documentary about scopalamine.  Seems people are using it for other than treating sea sickness.  Makes me wonder what it actually does to your body to fight off the sea sickness.
Quote from: Dominick on September 08, 2018, 08:35:38 PM
Any chance you can post a link to that documentary?  Dominick

My wife is from Bogota and told me about this stuff... Thieves use it to take advantage of people in public.  Scary stuff.
  https://video.vice.com/en_us/video/worlds-scariest-drug-colombian-devil39s-breath-part-1/55ef5be749b3d5591cf227c4

Dominick

Thanks Joe scary stuff is correct.  The scopolamine in the patch worn behind the ear delivers 1 mg over 3 days.  Unless someone is extremely sensitive to the drug there should be no problem.  I have used this product successfully for 30 years.  I use maybe 6-8 patches a year.  I am very aware of drug side effects and use all medications with discretion.  Dominick

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Alto Mare

Quote from: Dominick on September 10, 2018, 01:38:55 PM
Thanks Joe scary stuff is correct.  The scopolamine in the patch worn behind the ear delivers 1 mg over 3 days. 
  I have used this product successfully for 30 years.  I use maybe 6-8 patches a year. 
Dominick
And that right there explains it! ::)
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Dominick

Decker

Classic!  ;D  Gotta see you guys together live some time. :D

conchydong