Fishing Bishop Creek, Aug. 10, 2018

Started by El Pescador, August 18, 2018, 02:38:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

El Pescador

The Mrs. and I decided to take a few days off and enjoy our time in Bishop, CA.
Fires in No. California, especially Yosemite NP made our decision how to get there a last minute one.

A few shots of our drive thru Yosemite NP.

This vista overlook SHOULD be packed with Tourists, but today just a few are here.

Here, a shot of Glacially-polished granite, from the last ice age 12,000 years ago.  Any discussion of "Global Warming" here ;D

Here is Toulumne Meadows, elevation 8,600' - the Pacific Crest Trail (PCT) comes right thru here.

As a guy who has done LOTS of backpacking - estimated 1,500 miles over my lifetime - it's the change in gear that gets my attention.

REELY??   a solar panel???

We stopped by the Toulumne Meadows store - check this out, the chip bag IS READY TO BLOW - Air is thin here.   8,600'!!!!

Here we are at Tioga Pass - 9,945' - believe it or not, this is NOT the highest car pass in California!

https://www.dangerousroads.org/north-america/usa/4589-list-of-sierra-nevada-road-passes.html

Sal, here is some granite rock work you might enjoy!!!!

We now head our way to Lee Vining on Hwy. 395 - we drop almost 4,000' on the way down.

WOW!  think of the skinner on the big blade dozer first cutting in the road bed!!  WOW!!!!

And here we arrive at our hotel for the next few nights - Bishop Creek flows thru the property - I'll be fishing this same stream just 16 miles up the canyon.

Night time you can sit out here and enjoy the flowing stream & fire.

Next morning I head up to South Lake, leaving Bishop, CA at 4,500', passing thru 5,000', 6,000'

8,000', 9,000' to South lake, but check out this home!  Has a personal waterfall 150 yards away!!!

South Lake - elevation 9,972'

Start rigging up for the day with my trusty Mitchel 308 - this is a special reel for me, it has caught thousands and thousands of hard fishing trout, mostly on the western flowing streams & lakes of the Sierra Nevada Mountains.  I bought this reel at age 13

and the matching rod for the day: a 1990's Fenwick HMG 6' rod, with a unique cutout for your second finger to rest on the rod blank - reelly nice to feel the bumps of the lure tumbling from pool to pool.  I like this feature.

this rod will cast a 1/4 oz. lure 40 yards with fresh 4 lbs. test line!  

First rainbow of the day

After catching & releasing a dozen fish or so, I decided to head back & begin fishing Bishop Creek,

I see this dark water in front of the flat top rock, & I had to get down there.

Getting there was tough, I headed downstream till I hit the river then upstream to get into position.

This late in the summer, I tied on a black ant, with rubber legs, make ONE roll cast, had a 12" drift & WHAM!!!  FISH ON!!!!

A Reelly nice brown trout, released him for another day.

My gear for this was a Pflueger Medalist 1494 - again a reel I bought at age 14 - this reel and the 308 have caught 95% of all the fish I've caught in my lifetime!!!

Check out this perfect clear water hole half the size of your kitchen sink!

I did a BOW CAST - held onto the bend of the hook between my fingers, put pressure on the fly line with my right hand, pulled back on the fly until I had a bow in the fly rod, aimed, then released for a perfect landing on the clear flat water of this hole.  FISH ON!!!

Another nice brown trout for the day!

and the rod - Temple Fork Outfitters 7 1/2' 3 wt. rod - perfect for this small water fishing unless the wind comes up - go figure.

BTW, if you have not used this product, check it out. Super strong magnets hold your fishing pole against your car or truck with NO PROBLEM.

that's it for now, I have more to post later!!!

Wayne
Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

Fishy247

Looks like an awesome trip Wayne. Thanks for taking us along!

Mike

mo65

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

foakes

Thanks for posting this, Wayne —

That is some beautiful country on the Eastern side of the Sierras.  That has been my stomping grounds for more than 45 years.  Mostly around Bridgeport though, a little farther North.  Lots of backpacking, days on the creeks, and in the boat.

Sue and I did a little 11 mile hike into Upper Twin Lake yesterday, in the Kaiser Wilderness at 9000'.

From our cabin, it is only about 75 minutes to the trailhead at Sample Meadows.

Ate lunch under an ancient Bristlecone Pine that had a base diameter of 18'.  How old could a tree like this be?  It was growing on top of a mountain of quartz.  I know you saw some great Bristlecone Pines over in the White Mountain Range recently.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

xjchad

Thanks for taking us along!
Great pictures of beautiful country!
Husband, Father, Fisherman

El Pescador

Quote from: foakes on August 18, 2018, 04:24:50 PM
Thanks for posting this, Wayne —

That is some beautiful country on the Eastern side of the Sierras.  

Ate lunch under an ancient Bristlecone Pine that had a base diameter of 18'.  How old could a tree like this be?  

Fred

Fred,

I agree, the eastern Sierra's are a special place for sure,

I will be posting about our day at the Sherman Grove of the Bristlecone pines in the White Mountains - tomorrow,

That too is a very special day. 

Wayne
Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

Tiddlerbasher

Marcq

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

steelfish

love the pics, the reel stories and the fish

thanks for walk through compadre
The Baja Guy

Alto Mare

Thanks for the ride Wayne, I really enjoyed it.
Keep posting, you really do a good job taking photos and a nice narration.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Maxed Out

Wow Wayne, I feel like I was along for the ride.....how much do I owe you for giving the best guided tour ever ??

Maybe next summer you could hitchhike up here for guided tour of Puget sound salmon
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Benni3

Great pictures :D and that water looks fantastic  ;D

STRIPER LOU

Beautiful country and great pics.

Most enjoyable and thanks for sharing!

.................Lou

Dominick

I had dinner with Wayne and Jennifer (they bought) and Jenn said she had a good time also.  I heard all about the trip during dinner.  They did have a really good time.  Thanks again for the dinner and report.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.