Could these parts be original?

Started by scharebear, August 19, 2018, 12:58:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scharebear

I just tore down an old 9/0 that I believe is original model? Has chrome spool, old style side plates with old style bearings in them. It had old style 3 stack drag too. What has me puzzled is main gear is stainless and I think gear shaft may be too, it's not brass but not as shiny as most other stainless parts, kind of a yellow tint. Could these be original parts? The reel is in pretty good shape but that drag stack was melded together. I have a hard time imagining someone would upgrade gear and gear shaft and leave that drag stack in there. Thanks

RowdyW

The main gear is not stainless but heat treated steel. The pinion is ss though. Thats an original set up. I would say the gear sleeve is brass and original too.       Rudy

scharebear

Thanks. I was expecting brass everywhere except pinion like my 4/0's.

UKChris

Just a quick note to say that I have some larger Senator reels and they have a mixture of 'brass' (I think it is actually bronze) main gears and 'moly coated steel' (as described in the Penn catalogues of the era) main gears which look a dull steel colour. All have bright shiny stainless pinion gears. I assume Penn changed over the years but indeed original main gears were not stainless, only the pinion.

The 9/0 is a lovely reel in any configuration or age.

Tiddlerbasher

Quote from: UKChris on August 22, 2018, 02:24:18 PM
Just a quick note to say that I have some larger Senator reels and they have a mixture of 'brass' (I think it is actually bronze) main gears and 'moly coated steel' (as described in the Penn catalogues of the era) main gears which look a dull steel colour. All have bright shiny stainless pinion gears. I assume Penn changed over the years but indeed original main gears were not stainless, only the pinion.

The 9/0 is a lovely reel in any configuration or age.
Totally agree Chris.
Did you catch this thread when I scored a really nice 9/0:
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=15800.990

You've probably seen the program I was talking about.
Chris.

UKChris

Hi Tiddlerbasher,

Yes, great story! Great find.

I had a similar couple of 'nice ones' - a 9/0 I bought on eBay in the UK that turned out to be 'as new' complete with box - all the brown 'rust' in the photos was actually dried grease. And a great guy who called me up and asked if I also wanted the 'bent black bit' to go with a Penn Int. 130 I'd bought off of him. I said yes and he popped it in the post for nothing - a nice bent Aftco Unibutt No. 6. I did thank him profusely but he said it was no use to him as he'd sold the reel (to me).  :)

But also a couple of bummers over the years >:(