Yamaha Lube Marine Grease vs Quicksilver 2-4-C Marine Grease

Started by Joao Tavares, August 20, 2018, 03:07:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joao Tavares

From what I've read in this forum, Yamaha lube is everybody's favorite. A lot of people say Quicksilver 2-4-C is not blue and it stinks.

However, where I live (East Timor), I can order online via Portugal, some Quicksilver 2-4-C not Yamaha Lube. Can't find the Yamaha lube on Ebay, much less from some vendor in Europe.

Is it ok to use quicksilver for the same purpose that Yamaha lube is used, namely packing non-spool bearings, gear drives and general corrosion protection of reel plates and so on?

Being so far away from a place with easy access to reel repair, kind of makes me having to learn how to service and repair my own reels.

Any thoughts?

João

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

RowdyW

Quicksilver Marine grease will work fine. It's just that most are using Yamaha Marine grease. The most important thing is that it is MARINE grease. Just stick with a major brand & you will be ok.     Rudy

Joao Tavares

Thank you.

One more problem solved then.

Little by little I'm getting there, but the biggest help is the expertise and good will of so many in this forum. Thank you all.

João

Tiddlerbasher

I have used Quicksilver 2-4-C in the past - it's a good marine grease. You can also use it for drags as it contains Teflon - works in a similar way to Cals.
I am now currently using this grease:
https://www.smithandallan.com/products/industrial-grease/4640-smith-and-allan-teflube-plus-2-grease/

I think shipping costs to you would be a bit  pricey but they do export.

Joao Tavares

Yes, according to their description it seems like a nice grease but they charge heaps of money to send it abroad.

"There is a £50 +vat administration charge for export orders. Minimum order quantity for export is £100 +vat."

This makes it impossible to order from abroad.

João

Tiddlerbasher

Yup I feel your pain - international shipping costs have risen sharply - does anyone actually want to export anymore :-\