left hand confusion

Started by scharebear, August 20, 2018, 03:48:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scharebear

Just helped a friend clean up a red 113H that he picked up for 10 bucks at garage sale and have question about whether it's left handed or not. I never turned the handle before taking it apart but after my confusion later my buddy said he thought the reel was mounted backward when he bought it because it would crank "backward". So when I broke it down I found dog on opposite side of the usual, and when I tried to reassemble the normal way realized the dog wouldn't engage so I put in a different gear sleeve, right handed for sure, from another 113. Everything went together fine and seems to work perfectly. So my question: if this is left handed reel shouldn't the main and pinion gear also be different? Would someone intentionally put in LH sleeve so they can crank right handed but backward? I used his original star too and it turns "normal", tight is clockwise. Thanks for any insight

1badf350

I just came to post the exact question!! I have a 114H that had no functioning anit-reverse. I took it apart and re installed the dog and spring in the normal spot. It would not engage the teeth from that side. So i mounted it on opposite side and works fine, but the reel is retrieving with left hand crank. My question is about the drag. The drag now you have to still spin counter-clockwise to tighten. Really awkward when teeling left handed.
I have no idea about this reel being a lefty is this normal?
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

alantani

there is a left handed gear set.  whether left or right, the main gear has to exert a "downward" force on the pinion gear to keep it in position.  for the star, there is a true left handed star and gear sleeve.  for the 114h, i believe there is not ........   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!