541 Need more drag

Started by rippin_lips, August 20, 2018, 01:09:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rippin_lips

I fished two days for our limited red snapper season on the east coast of Florida, and hooked into a few bruisers.  My Pro Gear 541 worked wonderfully, and I really enjoyed fishing with it.  However, I felt I had to turn the drag star far too many times to get more drag and when I got it cranked down tight I still had to thumb the spool to stop a few freight train runs.  Our bottom fishing for grouper and snapper is straight up and down, a quick hard as you can pull fight before the fish finds rocks or a shark comes along.

I switched out the original cork drag for carbontex smooth drag washers.  The drag was buttery smooth, but I needed a little more out of it.  What would be the best option for me to improve the drag?  I'm thinking since I have to turn the star so many times, I can maybe just squeeze another drag washer in assuming there is room in the side plate.  Could I also shim between the star and the spacer sleeve with an extra washer?

Swami805

Bryan Young on here has a drag kit to fit that reel I think which should up the drag considerably by using thinner washers. That should take care of it without breaking the bank. There's also upgraded internals for the next level upgrades from pro challenger which would be a good idea if you're really looking to fish heavy. The stock parts are fine as long as you don't go over what they are designed for.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

doradoben

Have you checked the drag with a scale, and what test line are you using?? Oh, I almost forgot to ask, how many fiber washers are inside your main gear?

MarkT

A thicker Belleville on top of the stack or a taller spacer sleeve or just add another metal washer on top of the stack.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

vilters

some pro gears with penn 4/0h based internals came with a 3 stack drag. make sure it has 5 stack (i use og penn washers and carbon fiber drag discs) and like Mark stated, add to stack as needed w/ washers or taller spacer. you should be able to button it down to full lock and back it off to a heavy enough setting.

rippin_lips

I'm pretty sure I put 5 carbontex washers in, but I could be wrong. I'll check it out this weekend and I'll work on adding/adjusting and see where I end up. Also yes, I do need to actually use a scale and see what I'm getting.

JRD

Also make sure you clean the slots in the gears meant for the eared washers, if the washers are not sliding in the channels all the way down your drag numbers will be affected. 

alantani

Quote from: JRD on August 21, 2018, 06:42:53 PM
Also make sure you clean the slots in the gears meant for the eared washers, if the washers are not sliding in the channels all the way down your drag numbers will be affected. 

this........   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

rippin_lips

Quote from: alantani on August 22, 2018, 07:23:06 AM
Quote from: JRD on August 21, 2018, 06:42:53 PM

this........   :-\

I will check but Im confident this wasnt the case based on how far down the star turned. I had very good drag numbers, but I want a hair more. Also I dont like how far down I had to turn the star, it was excessive.

rippin_lips

Tried adding a couple different washers to the top of the stack and found a setup that seemed to work well. Don't have a scale currently to test max drag but I'm happy with the adjustment range now.

Three se7ens

I have an insert style drag kit for the 113H, that also fits the progear reels that use the 113H gears.  I have one in my 545, and was able to get to 45 lbs of drag on a scale.  In more practical terms, its very smooth and functional well through 30 lbs of drag, which is still more than youd likely want to use long term on a reel that size. 

You can see more on the kit here and you can get your name on the signup list here.

Donnyboat

I find if you place a delrin washer below the star, that helps to turn the star easier, also under gear delrin, Good luck, leave some fish in the ocean for me, cheers Don. this idea was stollen from Sal, so dont give me any ?.
Don, or donnyboat

gstours

In my opinion it's a no brainer..... get a drag insert kit from Adam, motive fab.    It's the best kit on the market.   You've got the skills it sounds like to make a swap.   You will be happy.😁.   Shown below.

mrwilson99

I did the handle arm, may I ask where you get that from?

Quote from: gstours on September 10, 2018, 04:46:00 AM
In my opinion it's a no brainer..... get a drag insert kit from Adam, motive fab.    It's the best kit on the market.   You've got the skills it sounds like to make a swap.   You will be happy.😁.   Shown below.

David

Darin Crofton

Quote from: mrwilson99 on November 16, 2018, 07:51:03 AM
I did the handle arm, may I ask where you get that from?

Quote from: gstours on September 10, 2018, 04:46:00 AM

That handle arm and knob is from the Boss, Alan Tani, he is in the top spot in the for sale section. I have a set and love it so much I'm getting 3 more. Good luck! Darin
God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?