9/0 setup questions

Started by scharebear, August 21, 2018, 10:44:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scharebear

Just tore down and cleaned up old 9/0 that my son got on auction site for 100 bucks. Was in very good shape, all I did was clean and lube everything, added Penn 5 stack drag (had the old 3 stack) and put some Delrin washers in. It seems very smooth. Purpose is for shark fishing from beach in Jacksonville, FL. Sharks not too big usually. So my questions are:

What should I spool it with?

Is my current rod big enough, it's a Made in USA Star Rods, Handcrafted, B507HC, 50-80 LB Line, 2-8 oz lure? It doesn't have any roller guides.

Need handle and grip recs too.

Thanks in advance.

RowdyW

As far as line it's a matter of how far from the beach you are dropping your bait. 80# mono should handle close in work. For a farther drop use at least half a spool of 100-130# braid & a top shot of 80# mono.  This should all be hooked to a leader of 8/0 circle hook crimped to 200-250# cable or solid wire about 3 ft & crimped to 10 ft. of 200# mono. Use swivels where needed. Use a heavy quick release bb snap swivel on the end of your main line for a quick change of leader rigs due to damage or breakoff. That should get you started.            Rudy

scharebear

Quote from: RowdyW on August 21, 2018, 11:32:15 PM
As far as line it's a matter of how far from the beach you are dropping your bait. 80# mono should handle close in work. For a farther drop use at least half a spool of 100-130# braid & a top shot of 80# mono.  This should all be hooked to a leader of 8/0 circle hook crimped to 200-250# cable or solid wire about 3 ft & crimped to 10 ft. of 200# mono. Use swivels where needed. Use a heavy quick release bb snap swivel on the end of your main line for a quick change of leader rigs due to damage or breakoff. That should get you started.            Rudy

Thanks, sounds great.
Any insight on the rod and handle questions?

RowdyW

The rod you have will work until you decide you want something more or the sharks get to big. In the future you might want to get a slightly shorter rod (6-61/2 ft) with a little heavier action. You may even want a rod with a roller tip & stripper. Roller rods require more maintence though. For handles arms try Alan T's or Adam (3 Se7ens). For knobs there is Black Pearl, Alan T., or ebay for t-bar knobs.

Swami805

You might want to look at a heavier rod if you're using 80#, something rated 60-130 or close to that. On a big fish that rod will likely "bottom out" where it's so bent you'll lose the pulling power. Shorter will give you better leverage but longer gives you more of a cushion for head shakes and sudden change of direction. The best rod will be a series of compromises and naturally something you fell comfortable using.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

oc1

The long rod will help get your line up in the air and out of the surf.  The waves drag your line across the sand, make your line catch pieces of seaweed and dislodge your sinker.  Depending on the spot and the day, a few feet more elevation can make a big difference.  But with a fish on the long rod will make you work harder and doesn't offer any advantage.  I wouldn't really consider seven feet long by beach standards though.

Roller guides came about back when ring guides were made of softer material and line was more abrasive.  There was/is a danger of wearing a groove in the ring that could cut the line.  You seem to see more and more rods without rollers these days
-steve

1badf350

I would check manufacturer specs on rod to see if braid compatible. Im not a beach shark fisherman but I would wonder about using roller guides on the sand. In my inexperienced opinion you are good without them.
I think Gator has some nice long rods specially for land based shark fishing. Your star rod will be fine for starters.
Thats all I got
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

thorhammer

If this is the same 9/0 you had another post about re original parts and has the old three piece spool, you definitely want dacron or braid backing to keep from popping the spool apart, that reel likely pre-dates compressive mono lines. Additionally, I'd bet spools from the newer ball bearing plates will not fit your reel...somewhere can confirm....and leave you with a difficult to replace separated spool.

I spool my 9/0's (all BB models) with 300yds of 100lb power pro topped with 80 mono. As Rudy says, it depends a lot on how far you drop and what size fish you after, but you want some backing either way that will absorb some of the compressive force of tightly wound mono.

Army_of_One

Another day in Paradise!

scharebear

Quote from: thorhammer on August 22, 2018, 02:36:03 PM
If this is the same 9/0 you had another post about re original parts and has the old three piece spool, you definitely want dacron or braid backing to keep from popping the spool apart, that reel likely pre-dates compressive mono lines. Additionally, I'd bet spools from the newer ball bearing plates will not fit your reel...somewhere can confirm....and leave you with a difficult to replace separated spool. 

It is the same 9/0 that I asked about original parts. The spool is chrome and one piece. the handle side bearing is hex shape (is it really a bearing or just a bushing really?)

RowdyW

With the chrome 1 piece spool you can use all mono or braid underneth, your option. A bushing can be also called a bearing. A ball bearing is just another type of bearing.

scharebear

Thanks for all the good advice.

Didn't know about the bushing being a type of bearing, just assumed when people said bearing they meant ball-bearing. So my reel has bushings as bearings (sleeve bearings according to google)?

Also any idea what year it might be from?

RowdyW

My guess would be mid 60's to early 70's.   

Shark Hunter

I would just spool it with straight 80lb mono and go for it.
With a one piece spool and a new drag stack. I would say you are good up to 7 or 8 foot Shark. ;)
Life is Good!

scharebear

Thanks for all the great advice. Probably going to just go with mono for cost purposes, still looking for handle, and will see how it goes with current rod. It's not going to get used heavily. Thanks again.