Picking Up P21XN Kits At Tiburon On Tuesday 8/28. Please Send Payment Soon!

Started by Vintage Offshore Tackle, August 22, 2018, 05:47:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

twotone

THx for the heads up R.P. Very pleased you contacted me. Haven't had the much time for the forum lately. PayPal me for my order.

Thx again R.P.
twotone

Jkjhung

P21XN kit on a lefty. Put this together for my lady when we fish shallow water rock cod. Sweet kit. Will probably add a power handle soon. Thanks Randy

xjchad

Looks great!
You guys are killin' me!
I won't get to build mine till I get home from vacation. 
Husband, Father, Fisherman

JRD

First off I don't know how RP gets USPS Sunday delivery but this is like the third time.  I couldn't get a sense for how narrow the p21xn was until I set it up next to a p21.  Wow.  Here is a 501xn Cobalt blue and 506xn Purple lined up with a P21 506.  These are going to be a blast

JRD

One little hiccup!  The 501xn went together flawlessly.  I'm using a NOS of Newell gears in my 506, the Penn spool fits fine, the Tib won't go into the pinion. But the Tib spool works fine in stock Penn 506 pinion.

I'm using a used set of Newell's in my 501xn and both Tib spools fit in the pinion just fine.  So tomorrow I will take the 506 down and try to bore out the pinion a bit.  If your using the 506 with new Newell gears try a test fit before you put the whole shebang together.

Other than that little thing I'm excited to spool these up and try for some local Dorado on Friday.

mikeysm

Just finished my reel except for the drag spacer. I will have to sand down so it will fit in Tom's plates.

Mike

xjchad

mikeysm

This reel is so narrow I only have one rod it will fit. I may have to remove the rod clamp just to use it.

Mike

cmdrzog

I tried the reel on fuji seats.  The reel clamp bracket will not fit a size 20 fuji seat or larger.  The width of the clamp attachment holes is more than wide enough but the area where the brackets attach are too narrow and prevent the foot from seating flush to the reel seat.  If you must have the reel clamped you need a rod with a size 18 or smaller seat.

For me this is not a problem as my use is porgy, fluke or sea bass and the clamp is not needed.   I like these kits so much I have to get a couple more for my children.

Bob

Reel 224

Very nice setup, I link the color combination Red&Blue it really pops!...................Joe 
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Vintage Offshore Tackle

I see what you mean, Mike and Bob.  It looks like the rod clamp brackets will need to be removed to use the P21XN on the larger reel seats and the rod clamp will not be able to be used.  I don't see any other solution.  I think that it should be OK mounted deckhand style with some padding material in between the base and the rod to fill the gap, but it is not ideal. 

I am sorry that Tiburon and I did not realize that the rod clamp brackets would would be sitting higher than the foot of the base.  If you are fishing relatively light tackle (30 lb. line or less) on a rod with a reel seat, I would think that you would be OK without the rod clamp and can remove the rod clamp brackets (I am usually too lazy to put on my rod clamp on anything but the heavy gear and haven't had a problem yet), but if anyone is concerned that their reel seat mounting is not strong enough without the rod clamps and would like to return their kit, I will take them back for a full refund.

Thanks,

Randy

xjchad

Quote from: Vintage Offshore Tackle on September 04, 2018, 04:45:09 AM
I see what you mean, Mike and Bob.  It looks like the rod clamp brackets will need to be removed to use the P21XN on the larger reel seats and the rod clamp will not be able to be used.  I don't see any other solution.  I think that it should be OK mounted deckhand style with some padding material in between the base and the rod to fill the gap, but it is not ideal. 

I am sorry that Tiburon and I did not realize that the rod clamp brackets would would be sitting higher than the foot of the base.  If you are fishing relatively light tackle (30 lb. line or less) on a rod with a reel seat, I would think that you would be OK without the rod clamp and can remove the rod clamp brackets (I am usually too lazy to put on my rod clamp on anything but the heavy gear and haven't had a problem yet), but if anyone is concerned that their reel seat mounting is not strong enough without the rod clamps and would like to return their kit, I will take them back for a full refund.

Thanks,

Randy

I don't see there being an issue either Randy.
If you do get any returned, let me know, I might need a couple more!

mhc

Hi Randy, Hope you don't mind me sticking my nose into this (I didn't order one of these kits), but it might be a relatively easy fix depending on how much interference there is with the larger reel seats. I's a bit hard to tell just working off photos of the clamp without a reel seat in place, but would it be possible to either;
Cut a bevel along the sharp corner of the brackets closest to the rod - that would require it to be re-anodized and I don't know it there is enough material there to make enough room anyway, or;
Place a flat spacer of metal or maybe delrin about 1/8" thick under the reel foot to raise it 1/8" or so - you would need longer screws to connect the foot to the frame.

a very rough sketch;

If it was me, I'd either not use the clamp like you said, or try a delrin spacer if I needed a clamp. Like I said, I don't know if these would work but thought I would throw a couple of ideas around - feel free to tell me to but out!  :)

Mike
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

Vintage Offshore Tackle

Thank you Mike.  I really appreciate you taking the time to work on this for me. Those are both great ideas, and I think that making the spacer and supplying the longer screws would be doable if anyone is fishing heavy line and needs the clamp or is using deckhand style (no reel seat) rods.

I am going to be traveling until 10/2, but if anyone would like me to pursue the spacer idea with Tiburon, please let me know.  The offer to accept returns still stands.

Thanks again,

Randy

mikeysm

Yes Randy check on a spacer for this reel. I did all this work I don't want to return it. It does have good potential so a spacer is the way to go.