Main Menu

Hurricane Lane

Started by Tightlines667, August 22, 2018, 08:14:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swami805

Hope you all get thru this ok. Just heard a cat 4 storm. Hunker down and be safe!
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Alto Mare

John, I hope you and everyone else on the path are safe.
I'm thinking about you guys and hoping for the best.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

happyhooker

Thinking about you guys who are in the line of fire.

Frank

joel8080

When we lived in Highland Beach FL, we lived thru 2 serious Hurricanes and aside from having food & water what really saved us when we lost our electric was a Honda 2000 generator, we had our refrigerator running and a couple of lights going. Still have it for any emergency, it was a great investment.

joel8080
Oceanside,California

Ron Jones

Delta is letting us fly. I'm not certain it's a great idea to head into a storm, but I do have to get my property; especially since I need some of it for Cedros!
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Jim Fujitani

Stay safe all, and take no unreasonable chances.

oc1

Today the model is still showing it pass south of the Big Island then turn northeast into Maui.  Kaupo could take the brunt of it with 50+ knots before the convection is broken up by Haleakala.  Be careful Wailua Boy.  Molokai would get almost 50 knots from the back side. The remnants would then drift off almost due west. 

Everyone's frantic and excited about the approach.  That's always the way it is, but very seldom is there devastation or life-threatening conditions.  Iniki (25 years ago) was a fluke because the steering current shot the storm northward and it hit Kauai before loosing all its energy to the cooler Hawaiian water.  Lane, on the other hand, is a wanderer.

I just told all this to the mail lady.  She scolded me for talking like that and fears I have now jinxed it for everyone.  I'll apologize to the survivors next week.  Might even get two days of good fishing weather early next week if the water isn't brown.
-steve

Gfish

So far so good. 1pm HST. Intermittent calm peroids with moderate to heavy rain, then some pretty healthy winds. Waitin for the high-wind + heavy rain at the same time-thing, sos I know it's real.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

wailua boy

I just drove back from south side and it's been raining steadily with light winds with small to moderate surf, I'm heading home for day and will keep everyone posted as weather develops. Here a picture of my dads barn, I guess he decided to put some weight on the roof.

Alto Mare

I know your Dad is trying his best to save his property, he might want to keep an eye on that bucket.
I used to operate a LULL and the boom used to lose pressure if left up for a while. That would be too much weight for that roof.

Good luck out there.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

wailua boy

Quote from: Alto Mare on August 24, 2018, 12:32:49 AM
I know your Dad is trying his best to save his property, he might want to keep an eye on that bucket.
I used to operate a LULL and the boom used to lose pressure if left up for a while. That would be too much weight for that roof.

Good luck out there.

Sal

Thanks Sal, I'll mention it to him. It's about 10pm and the wind is getting gusty in the 20-30 mph range with little to no rain on leeward Haleakala. Surprisingly no power outages at my house but other parts of upcountry Maui are reporting outages.

oc1

The Windfinder model now shows the eye slowing down and breaking up farther out to sea as it approaches the Maui coast.  It is in that corner between Maui and the Big Island so mountains on both islands may help to break the convection.  There are some god-awful bands of rain though.
-steve

wailua boy

We weathered the storm pretty well
over here on Maui. I actually didn't even lose power. There is brush fire around Lahaina that is threatening structures and hoping the rain puts it out quickly.

Gfish

Weird huh, a brush fire with this much precipitation.
Kaua'i's gettin 'er now, 11AM HST. Wind + rain. Hopin the power don't go off, but it probably will. We got one radio station workin.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

mizmo67

The brush fire does seem strange but was there lightning? That'd do it even if it's raining.
Doesn't usually get so big, though.

Glad most areas out there seem to be doing okay. Worried about mud slides near the lava damaged areas..that can't be a good combo.
~Mo

Maureen Albertson :)
Scott's Bait & Tackle / Mystic Reel Parts (Formerly PennParts.com)
Contact Me Via Store Website Please!
Orders/Support# +1 (609) 488-4637 (parts ordering or troubleshooting)
customerservice@mysticparts.com