Main Menu

Hurricane Lane

Started by Tightlines667, August 22, 2018, 08:14:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Jones

I'm sitting at Ko Olina and it is gusty with a side of overcast. Kind of less than happy that EVERYTHING shut down for this. After living here for six years, I honestly think the retailers pay off the news to sensationalize the storm in order to get their shelves cleared and then allow them to have a day off. Even the tropical storm that hit Oahu a few years ago wasn't much more than Santa Ana winds and a winter downpour at the same time.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Gfish

They have sold alotta stuff the past 1.5 weeks...
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

wailua boy

The latest I heard on fire was it was intentionally set...

oc1

Quote from: Ron Jones on August 24, 2018, 09:10:28 PM
I honestly think the retailers pay off the news to sensationalize the storm in order to get their shelves cleared and then allow them to have a day off.

The first thing to disappear from the shelves is toilet paper. They ran out for an extended period once many years ago and nobody has forgotten it.   Everyone gets the day off for Christmas and hurricanes.  A great tradition, don't you think?
-steve

Ron Jones

I guess it would be if there was a hurricane.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

oc1

Yes, of course you are correct Ron.  I agree with your assessment of the media's role in this madness too.  But, the media has another co-conspirator, the National Weather Service  (with absolutely no offense to John who works for NOAA and started this thread).  NWS presents the worst-case scenario and tells us to prepare and hide.  They say they err on the side of caution to protect lives.  I say they're just covering their own behind. You can surf through NWS on-line products and never find a prediction that is as detailed and realistic as what you get from a silly little Android app (there are several of them).  The apps are based on computer models, most of which were developed for or by NWS with raw data collected and disseminated by NWS and NOAA. 

The problem is not just in Hawaii because you see the same thing happening along the Southeast and Gulf coasts.  If anything, Hawaii gets off easy.  Since there is no place for us to go they can't tell us to evacuate more than a few blocks.  When they tell a few million people in Florida to evacuate the region there is really no place for them to go either unless you want them sleeping in their cars along the Interstate.  With severe storms becoming more frequent and coastal populations still growing, they are going to have to rethink their approach.  This is one case where I think the nanny state has gone too far.
-steve

Swami805

No doubt there's some CYA involved but imagine  if that storm had come ashore as a Cat 5 and they didn't hype it. Much better to have a population over prepared with a weak storm than under prepared for a big one.Once and awhile they get it right too.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

El Pescador

Totally Agreeded!!!!  

A major direct hit was averted - Praise GOD!

As an old Boy Scout - Eagle Scout to be exact, Always "BE PREPARED"!

and the words of my Dad, I can still hear today - "Wayne, remember the 5 P's of planning -  Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance"

That might have been a military term:

http://simmymart.blogspot.com/2012/07/5ps-6ps-7ps-10ps-and-12-ps.html  

and

http://military.wikia.com/wiki/7_Ps_(military_adage)

Now, let's all get back to fishing!

Wayne

Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

Swami805

I think I live in the kingdom of over hyped weather events. They absoluetly loose their minds here if it's going to rain but once in awhile they're right and it does get pretty ugly.
Reminds me of reading the racing from at the track, study it well and you'll pick more winning horses but no one knows for sure what will happen.
Do what you can with that you have where you are