ALAN TANI DOT COM 10TH ANNIVERSARY CRAB AND FISHING TRIP

Started by Dominick, August 23, 2018, 05:44:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

El Pescador

Returned home after the day's fishing trip, had much to do, so I called Gary's wife, Mary Jo, and asked her if I should treat Gary as a house guest in the hopes he wants to return for another fishing trip here,

She SAID, "NO - You keep that old coot busy AND work him like a Show Pony!"   

So I did,

Put Gary on the fish cleaning process, and had him make dinner as well!!!!

FRESH Rockfish and a light dinner.

Gary,  You are a wonderful house guest and fishing guy, please feel free to return for another time.

Gary's getting breakfast together, more to follow...

Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

Neilman

Thank you Dominick for organizing the trip!  Here are some of my shots of Gary, Wayne (nice 'rockfish'), I think that's Ben , and Rob.  Sorry, I haven't figured out how to rotate some of these pics. 

If we can book Chris Chan's Ankeny Street at least two months lead time, he'll be sure to put us on a very productive rockfishing trip.  You won't find a more professional & friendly skipper.  Couldn't ask for better weather; I agree, Alan called it!  Thank you Alan  ;>

JoseCuervo

Guys, that was a great time and an absolutely beautiful day for December! Thanks for having me.

As has been said, thanks again to Dominic for making the arrangements, and congrats on Alan's 10 years providing an invaluable resource for us fishing nuts. It was very nice to meet all of you gents. Ed, don't bring that stuff anymore.. I spend enough money on fishing as it is-  :o

One thing that proved true for me is it is better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it. Spare gear..

I was using a Surfmaster 250 for most of the day. Maybe around 11 I noticed the freespool lever was lazy, but still worked. I thought the screw was loose, but it wasn't. The reel locked up for a minute during a fish retrieve a drop or two later, but freed up and I bagged the fish. I should have acted sooner. I busted out a spare reel, the magnificent Jigmaster and swapped it for the last drop of the day, and bagged my biggest rock fish. I had never rockfished before.

Thanks for the tips from everyone, and the deckhand Mike was the snagmaster for sure, he must have saved a ton of gear and is a very nice guy. I tipped him even thought it was included in our fare.

Here are the pics of why my Surfmaster went out of service. I thought it might have been my service. In the end, servicing it might have helped save the reel from catastrophe.

You can see from the witness marks in the grease the spring went for a bit of a ride around, but didn't end up in the gears, it stuck to the grease on the spool.

Rob

El Pescador

Like Bryan too, I'll post photos with little story,

BUTT first, THANK YOU Dominick for putting this trip together and for all the SWAG!!!   WOW!!!! to say the least!  REELY nice job Buddy  Boy!!!

Personal swag from my wife, Jennifer!!  Sweetheart asked me to hand out this bungie cord & knob to help hold our fishing poles to the deck railing.  Worked out GREAT Dear!!!

Those on BOAT B whom did not receive this, please let me know and I'll send one to you.

Suns coming up.

We here know cold, like you guys on the east coast!!!  It is 50 degrees with a 10 mph wind!  BURRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!

Now's its going to warm up!!!!

Beyond all the winners of the day, this guy, Juan, had the Hot Rod for sure!!!!  Caught his 10 Rockfish, then began to fill other's bags, including my own!!!  He also caught 3 Lingcods around 4 lbs. apiece.

Everybody say HELLO to Juan!!!

With all my concerns of the high swell activity, this is how the day looked all day.

A selfless plug for Mo & Scott at Mystic Parts - your names were spoken often and with thank-fulled praises!  You two are the BEST!!!!

Sal, your handle photographed GREAT in the bright sunshine!!!!  Worked GREAT, felt GREAT!!!!

We thought Mike had the BIG fish and thus, BIG REEL of the day,  BUTT - PJ on Boat B had other thoughts!!!!

Let's all see it tricked out when you are done!!!!

And here is mild-mannered, our own Bryan, enjoying a musubi - spam with rice wrapped up in seaweed - I asked him for a bite, and he then licked every surface inch of the snack and handed it to me!!!  REELY Bryan ;D

Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

Alto Mare

Wayne, you're by far the best photographer and story teller on our site, I always enjoy your reports.
Great group of guys, Dominick shines like a new coin :)...very nice!

Sal

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

alantani

big tim and pj arrived friday, while i was putting up christmas lights.  we were standing out in front of the driveway when dominick called.  when he heard me say "dominick!," the first thing that pj said was, "the trip is cancelled!"  well, he was half right.  explaining that we only had room from 20 of the 25 guys that signed up, i told him that i could put 5 on my boat, and we were set.  ok, so now i have to hustle to get the boat ready.  pj volunteered to finish putting up the lights for me, then tim made the mistake of volunteering to help do anything else.  well, feeling a little bit like tom sawyer, i figured this would be a great time to get these small modular storage boxes put together.  guys, sorry about the muddy backyard.  rorn and mike arrived later, and we were five! 

we launched early and were greeted with flat calm water.  ok, i was showing off a little, but we made 30 knots to the first spot that was only 17 miles south.  pj stuck this beautiful cabezon right away. 

then he stuck this pig of a ling cod.  my el cheapo scale called it 13 pounds!

poor ron is thinking, "the dude stole my fish!"

but, hey, we're all friends here!

we got a few rockfish, then ron swung on this!

big tim scored!

and then mike!

we ended up with eight all total and a couple of dozen nice rockfish!

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

JoseCuervo

We needed a way for Alan to skipper the Riptide.

:o

Who are these guys?  

;D

Big Tim

Quote from: JoseCuervo on December 10, 2018, 02:39:29 AM

When we left our last stop, 2 boats were ready to slide in  ;D We never fished over 96' deep & Alan's boat will do 40 mph easily  ;D  I'm sorry we all didn't get to fish together and know eveyone appreciates Dom's efforts.

Tim

mikeysm

I buried the fish bones and skin in my garden. Also I left a snack for a local cat that loves to dig up my garden trying to get at the fish. He just showed up and started to dine in style.

Mike

VibraxTrout

VibraxTrout is the one with Jinkai leader ornament on his neck :)

daniel-

Quote from: JoseCuervo on December 10, 2018, 02:39:29 AM

Who are these guys?  

;D
VibraxTrout-

Dominick

I thank all the AT members that showed up and for their understanding that the plans almost tanked.  Thanks to Alan in bringing his boat to the party.  That helped to make the trip a success.  I have to prepare an accounting since everyone is going to get either a full refund or the difference between the Huli Cat and Rip Tide.  To complicate things in order to get the Rip Tide I had to pay for 15 spots and only 14 were on board.  The charter was for boat only so I had to buy 15 burlap bags and the bait.  I need to get our money back from Tom Mattusch to pay for my credit card and fund the refunds.  Randy Pauly donated his personal reel for the heaviest lingcod which was won by PJ.  Thanks Randy.  Everyone got a hat from Mystic parts.  Thank you Maureen and Scott.  Wayne won a nice spinning reel which was donated by Tony at Penn.  Thank you Tony.  The rest of the swag which included tackle bags and Penn shirts an electric reel was won by various members who's names I don't remember.  Wayne gave out some goodies (key chain and bungees).  Thank you Wayne and Jennifer.  Bryan Young gave out some tackle and also donated a drag stack for a Cortez conversion reel.  Thank you Bryan and Tom for your generosity.  The Cortez conversion needed innards to put it together and Alan Chui donated the innards.  The reel was won by Ben (Alan's Buddy) and it is on my work bench to put it together for him.  A bunch of stuff came from anonymous from the Pacific northwest (Washington).  Is this enough hints?  I know I probably left someone out so I am thanking them.  Lastly, thank you Alan Tani for 10 years of entertainment on this site.  I for one had a great time kibitzing some of the members as well getting help while working on reels.  For all who were on the boat please pictures if you took some.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Donnyboat

I second SALs words, great to see all you good people get together, & catch some nice fish, looks like nice calm seas, & thank you Allan for this great forum you have created, & thanks to every one that has posted the photos, at least Wayne is good for something ay, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

gstours

As a newcomer to the bottom fish of California I had a great time.  I'd go again and change a little gear,  I learned a lot, the weather was sunny and flat calm.   Every one seemed to get along and there was plenty of cut bait.   I hope they are wrong,  "you are what you eat".   Just wondering 🤡
    Thanks Alan and Dommie for making the fun day and scrambling in the short time when the huli cat was announced broken.   The crab might have been great, butt they are still out there for the next boat.

JoseCuervo

Dominick, thanks again for putting this together.  8)

The swag was nice, especially the coozie. That could be come an heirloom!

The hat is in the wash, I left my pack (inadvertently) under the cleaning board, my car stinks to high heaven!

I caught my big rockfish on that shrimp fly rig too. I wish it was a ling or a fat red. It was my first deepwater trip so I am still learning. I am going to have a Juan jig next time for sure.

I have the Coit Electric Reel, it is pretty.  ;D I need to research that.

Wayne, you are the life of any party I suspect!

Cheers.

Rob

JoseCuervo