New type of anti backlash system

Started by conchydong, August 24, 2018, 04:00:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

conchydong

I saw this posted on the Florida Sportsman site.
A new Bait caster prototype from Sweden  that uses a pendulum mechanism to decelerate the spool. Obviously very expensive but interesting technology.

STRIPER LOU

Interesting concept.

I believe its Diawa that has one now with a  micro computer built in. Supposedly it can sample spool rotation anywhere 100 /1000 times a second/minute to prevent backlash. Pricewise it wasn't bad but have no idea as to how well it works.

Someday it will probably get to be like cars. You wont be able to service unless you have sophisticated equipment. PROGRESS???????

...................Lou

nelz

I think you referring to the Shimano DC electronic brake?

This new one looks all mechanical, no electronics to go bad. Much preferable and brilliant!

STRIPER LOU

Yup, your correct nelz. I didn't look it over thoroughly as I really didn't have much interest in it.

Agreed, .... Not much beats a well designed mechanical product.

...................Lou

MarkT

Wow, the things people will spend money on rather than developing skills and earning how to use their equipment.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

nelz

Quote from: MarkT on August 24, 2018, 04:39:50 PM
Wow, the things people will spend money on rather than developing skills and earning how to use their equipment.

A time will come when your robotic "fishing" gear will go out and catch it for you, bring it home, cook, clean, and serve it to you an a silver platter!

mo65

Quote from: nelz on August 24, 2018, 04:50:35 PM
A time will come when your robotic "fishing" gear will go out and catch it for you, bring it home, cook, clean, and serve it to you on a silver platter!

I'm going to stop buying beat up old reels on fleabay and save my money for that! ;D
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

foakes

We have all seen this —

A guy backs down the launching ramp with a new $40,000 Bass boat, driving a $50,000 SUV 4X4, $10,000 in the latest gear and accessories, plus the coolest designer sun glasses.

As he is backing down, he sees a little kid fishing on the side of the dock with a bamboo pole, bobber, and a can of worms.

The Dude asks the kid what he is doing —

The kid sez, "I'm fishin', Mister — what are you doing?"

I used to work with an older German gentleman.  His favorite saying was —

"Ve get oldt too soon, un smart too late".

I'm thinking he may have been right...

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Midway Tommy

No need to spend big bucks on this newfangled gizmo, a great anti-backlash style reel has been easily available for about a hundred years. It's called a spinning reel.   ;D
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Reel 224

I have to agree with Fred's concept of technology. The little boy concept is bringing it to reality, the money we spend on things is for us to brag about but when it comes down to it-it is smoke and mirrors. ;D ;D ;D.....................................Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Gfish

Ah, man, but it looks so cool... The last really cool state of the art drag system the Abu guys put out, I had to have it(Revo-Toro Beast, a non-lock down(with pulling pressure on it) drag system). This'n looks pretty desirible too. Leave it to those Swedes, they never quit with that outta the box thinkin.
All the ones I come across including that guy in the video, speak good english, like the family I met in the store yesterday. Typical Scandanavian outlook on life :"Ya, the hurricane will be our first, it should be interesting". Not a hint of any emotion either way.
This a company I never heard a before.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

SoCalAngler

Quote from: MarkT on August 24, 2018, 04:39:50 PM

Ding, ding, ding...we have a winner.

Gfish

Hey, if it works good... Ever toss out your best lure, maybe even one you made yourself, and a massive backlash( the type where you can't even reel back in)allows it to sink and snag-up on the bottom? Ever go out in the pre-dawn darkness and backlash cause you can't see when your lure hits the water?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

philaroman

Fred,

I believe, "ve ar to soon alt, und to late shmart"
is closer to German sentence structure...  and sounds cooler

nelz

Quote from: Gfish on August 24, 2018, 06:44:12 PM
Hey, if it works good... Ever toss out your best lure, maybe even one you made yourself, and a massive backlash( the type where you can't even reel back in)allows it to sink and snag-up on the bottom? Ever go out in the pre-dawn darkness and backlash cause you can't see when your lure hits the water?

Hey I happen to like this development, I called it "brilliant" already. But I'll tell ya, every time I walk into a store that sells the latest tackle, I feel like the poor fish don't have a chance anymore! The sheer number of reels/rods/lures along with all the latest tech makes me dizzy!  We're gonna run outta fish man!