New type of anti backlash system

Started by conchydong, August 24, 2018, 04:00:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rivverrat

Yellowcat, this is this first I've seen of this. Maybe I'm not understanding it completely. I dont understand how this would work with out drastically decreasing distance.  I having trouble also understanding peoples need to see at night when casting a conventional reel. This of course being when casting into a general area & pin point accuracy is not needed... Jeff

Alto Mare

Quote from: Yellowcat on November 16, 2018, 08:57:42 PM
Here's an old school handmade Penn cast control device from the 60's or before then. I don't remember the name if the device but it was made/sold by "Hermosa Tackle Box" a shop located on the end of the Hermosa Beach Pier back in the day.  Yeah it looks kinda goofy but it really works! It works by way of a spring on the post/crossbar that is very adjustable, the nub (leather) below the bar rubs against the spool as line tension decreases toward the end of the cast. The reels are Penn 500 & 140. I still use 'em for old school style surf fishing. 13' rods, 3-4oz sinkers and bait. Where this deal shines is for surf fishing at night when normally you can't see the loops build up at the end of the cast and this device works better than you would think, you only need your thumb about when the rig hits the water, sweet. I could also use this setup for catfishing at night if long casts were needed. I still use these reels for surf fishing by day, not so much by night anymore since you can't park at night on the Pacific Coast Highway in Malibu without getting ticketed or towed, the cops don't usually share your concerns about the right tides!
I got a few a while back from a friend in Ireland, I thought they were made in England. I sent a set or two to Keta ( Lee )per my friend request.

I did try those and yes they do work.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Yellowcat

Here's how and why this thing works. You start the cast as with any conventional reel, thumb on the spool at first then feathering the spool as the line goes out. At this point the line goes through the rectangular frame to the guides in the position shown on the reel with the yellow line, the device does not have any effect on the cast at this stage. In this case long distance surf casting for lets say, 80 yards, taking around 7 seconds 'till it hits the water. Any cast is an arc, as gravity takes over, the line coming off the spool starts to slow down past the middle of the cast. This is how backlashes occur, when the spool rotation speed remains the same and the exiting line speed slows down, creating loops that tangle one another. What this device does, at the point when the line speed slows, the spring loaded frame rises up, (the position as shown on the other reel)  and the little peg underneath comes in contact with the spool, slowing the spool speed to match the exiting line speed making for a smooth long backlash-free cast.  Functionally genius, really...
"If you didn't put it together with your own hands, it's not really yours"  -Tim Allen  'Tool Time'

Gfish

Quote from: Rivverrat on November 17, 2018, 01:18:44 AM
Yellowcat, this is this first I've seen of this. Maybe I'm not understanding it completely. I dont understand how this would work with drastically decreasing distance.  I having trouble also understanding peoples need to see at night when casting a conventional reel. This of course being when casting into a general area & pin point accuracy is not needed... Jeff

Maybe it's just me, but just before/or just as, the terminal tackle hits the water, I gotta stop my spool with my thumb to prevent overrun. So really, I gotta see it. I've cast in darkness with baitcasters, flyfishing rigs and spinners. Spinnners are the most problem free for me.

Cool Yellowcat. Great explaination. Any references as to where one could get onea these devices?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

oldmanjoe

Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Yellowcat

For Gfish: With this device you still need your thumb at the end of the cast. With practice you learn the timing required to thumb the spool at the beginning and end of the cast, the device helps overall but it only does so much, requiring interaction between man and machine to achieve that Zen-like perfect harmony between you and your tackle. This thing ain't perfect by any stretch, too much force at the beginning of the cast will backlash horribly too, as with an unforseen sudden gust of wind. This works well with a more parabolic taper, fiberglass rod. Trying a 'whip' cast with a fast taper composite rod with this deal will have dire consequences.. About finding one, good luck with that, I have had the one probably since the 70's, found another on eBay around 5 years ago.
For oldmanjoe: Thanks for finding that patented version. Way resourceful on here! The patented device is not the same one I've shown which was probably made in the early 60's perhaps in the 50's? The one's I have are amazingly simple by comparison to the patented one. It seem to be an obvious attempt, not just to duplicate the original but to improve on the concept and add more means of adjustment. I admire the attempt and ingenuity involved with the 'improved' version but to to my mind, overly complicated by comparison. Brings up a favorite phrase: "A camel is a horse designed by a committee"
"If you didn't put it together with your own hands, it's not really yours"  -Tim Allen  'Tool Time'

Rivverrat

Yellowcat, thanks for the explanation. Joe thanks for looking up the the patent info & schematic.

Even though I seldom use any type of cast control I still find this very intriguing. Hope to find one to play with a bit. Thanks for posting this... Jeff