Hello from Newfoundland & Labrador!

Started by Ontherock, August 24, 2018, 05:52:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ontherock

Hi:

New member here! Just purchased a lightly used Penn Fierce ll 8000 and was looking for some info / advice on first time cleaning and maintenance. A number of Google searches pointed me to this forum and here I am!

I'm interested in oil and grease recommendations from people who actually work / use these reels.

xjchad

Welcome!  You're definitely in the right place!
For grease, I think most use Penn or Yamaha Marine.  Cal's for carbon drag washers.
For oils, there are a lot of options.  I like Corrosion-X, Reel-X, and Lucas Reel oil.
Many here also like TSI 321 and I think there's a few others.
Husband, Father, Fisherman

Danwin22

Welcome from Longwood, FL.

My father came from PEI, Canada.
USAF 1958-'62   NRA Member

Benni3

foakes

Welcome aboard, OTR —

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Ontherock

Thanks guys!

First question: I'm going to upgrade the drag by replacing the oiled felt washers with composite ones. The reel is going to be used for salt water fishing.
Do I grease the composite washers with a suitable grease like Cal's or should it be left dry? I've seen several opinions - all differing?

happyhooker

Welcome, OTR, from Minnesota USA.

Frank

oc1

Quote from: Ontherock on August 24, 2018, 08:14:51 PM
Do I grease the composite washers with a suitable grease like Cal's or should it be left dry? I've seen several opinions - all differing?
If there's one thing people here agree on it is that the drag should be greased.  Welcome from Oahu.
-steve

Ontherock

Quote from: oc1 on August 25, 2018, 01:22:21 AM
Quote from: Ontherock on August 24, 2018, 08:14:51 PM
If there's one thing people here agree on it is that the drag should be greased.  Welcome from Oahu.
-steve

Steve:

Thanks! This is exactly the info I'm looking for!
In your opinion, how much grease is OK and how much is too much on the drags? Same with oiling bearings - a drop per each?
(I'm a first timer at reel maintenance)

Alto Mare

Welcome Ontherock!...enjoy your stay.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Tiddlerbasher

Grease - any quality marine grease
Drags - A high temperature grease with teflon (ptfe) - like Cals drag grease.
Oil - my 1st choice is TSI321 - used neat in most places - for spool bearings, in casting reels, I dilute it 4 or 5 to one with IPA (4 IPA to 1 TSI321). 2nd choice would be Reelx or CorrosionX.

By the way welcome aboard - Chris, UK.

swill88

Welcome Ontherock...  the usual advice for drags is grease them entirely then wipe it all off.
Or... grease lightly ???

You're free to experiment. Sharing your results is appreciated.

Steve

Ontherock

Thanks again, all!

I'll order the new drags, Cal's and ReelX in the next few days and let you know how it works out in a few weeks.

Dereck

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

STRIPER LOU