gluing on a drag washer

Started by alantani, August 20, 2011, 12:50:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jonnou

Good to find this thread
I have an Okuma titus  50 which I have been using for deep drops 360m plus
but was thinking of rigging it for marlin for the next New Zealand Summer.When I serviced it a flap of the drag washer was peeling up I glued it back with a contact adhesive. Now i can fix it properly.

jonnou

Job Done
surprise washer was canvas just looked like carbon fibre
cut a new one and glued it on
sorted
Jon

ijlal

Quote from: jonnou on August 18, 2014, 09:58:20 AM
Job Done
surprise washer was canvas just looked like carbon fibre
cut a new one and glued it on
sorted
Jon

I guess you have a Titus T50 graphite body reel. I have Titus Gold (TG30-II) that came with a factory fitted Carbontex washer.
I live 'fishing'!

jonnou

mike1010

Quote from: wallacewt on January 26, 2014, 01:01:37 AM
I use acetone
it destroys the washers
if you are going to replace it doesn't matter if they are glued or not
does it?
I could use some additional suggestions for the procedure to remove a worn drag washer and its glue, if anyone can help.  Thanks.

--Mike

mike1010

Anybody?  How to get the washer and glue off efficiently and effectively?  Thanks.

--Mike

alantani

chisel, then the wire brush on the grinder.  :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Bryan Young

Same here except wire brush with my dremel.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

mike1010

Got it.  No magic bullet, just patience and a steady hand.  Thanks.

barkley1956

Where can I get a replacement washer for an SX spool?  ???

mike1010

http://www.avetreels.net/PARTS.php (after locating the part number on the schematic, also under avetreels.net)

mike1010

Quote from: mike1010 on January 17, 2015, 08:19:11 PM
http://www.avetreels.net/PARTS.php (after locating the part number on the schematic, also under avetreels.net)

I hit "post" without thinking.  Sorry.  The part is "Brake Pad SX5.3-012".

barkley1956

mike1010

You're welcome, for sure.  I am happy for the opportunity give back a little to alantani.com, as my skill and knowledge levels are, ahh, rudimentary.

trentless

Quote from: alantani on August 20, 2011, 12:50:37 AM
Quote from: grenade760Hey sorry to bother you, but i figured id get the best answer from you. I accidently busted off the drag washer that was glued on the spool. I poped off the first washer then then second broke off(i didn't know it was glued). My question is can i get a replacement washer(if i can find one) and epoxy it back on or do i have to send back to avet. I got a trip monday and everybodys telling i gotta send it to avet. Any info will help,thanks

naw, these are easy!!!!!!  first, clean up the drag washer a little.  take the blade of a very sharp knive and scrape at a 90 degree angle and remove any caked on salt.  get both sides.  now clean all the crud off the side of the spool where the drag washer goes.  you can roughen it up a little with no problem.  just make sure you get all the crud off the metal, then clean it with a little rubbing alcohol only.  don't use any oil or solvent based products. 

now for the fun part.  prepare this ahead of time.  you need a flat surface where the spool can sit for a day.  you need some sort of donut or ring that can sit directly on top of the drag washer and act as a spacer that will come in contact with the bulk of the surface of the drag washer but will not come in contact with the edges.  the more drag surface that this spacer touches, the better.  and the contact surface has to be perfectly flat and true.  and lastly, you need 5-10 pound of weight to put on top of the spacer.  a 7 pound gallon jug of water works well here. 

now look at the spool and imagine where the drag washer will sit.  use masking tape to cover the lip of the spool, then use an x-acto knife to cut away the masking tape for an exact fit.  now tape off the top working surface of the drag washer to keep epoxy off of the working surface. 

ok, got it all taped off?  got the donut and the weight prepared?  now mix up your slow cure epoxy.  evenly cover the metal surface and the back of the drag washer.  lay the drag washer onto the spool, set your donut in the middle, put the weight on top and come back at the end of the day.  pull the masking tape off.  you may need the xacto knife.  now grease the drag and you should be good.  alan

Im about to replace/reglue my SX 5.3 drag washer. Going to use 1/4" × 2" srew, wing nut with 2) 1.25" fender washers to clamp washer in place for 24hrs while epoxy cures. Seams easier than balancing weight atop spool and hoping its applying even pressure or doesn't fall over.
Fingers crossed!