alan tani @ alantani.com fishing reel repair rebuild tutorial Out of Date Flares - Disposal??
Reel Repair by Alan Tani
October 19, 2018, 11:42:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Out of Date Flares - Disposal??  (Read 554 times)
Wally15
Firearms Group

Tres Marias 347 LB YFT (Puerto Vallarta, Mexico)

« on: August 27, 2018, 03:42:54 AM »

Just noticed my flares went out of date last year. Only about a 3 year shelf life??? And $10 each!!! What a ripoff. And one more thing for the state wildlife guys to gig you on. How do you guys dispose of them, wait for the 4th of July?
I've bird hunted with 30+ year old shotgun shells with no problems.
Mike

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
George Orwell
conchydong

Pompano Beach, FL

« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2018, 04:41:26 AM »

I generally keep them as they probably would still work in a emergency. Can't have too many IMO. Just put them in a separate package from the up to date flares and label them so you don't show them to the LEOs  by mistake when boarded for a "safety" check.
David Hall
Firearms Group

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2018, 05:57:30 AM »

that's exactly what I do also. 
Donnyboat
donnyboat
Photo Group

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2018, 09:08:59 AM »

Yes rip off alright, I would like to get them to try one out in ten years time, @ a demo day, to see if it still works, or if your stuck at sea, but still safe, use one first, just to see, cheers Don.

Don, or donnyboat
Fishy247

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2018, 02:30:49 PM »

Pretty good idea to keep em on board. As far as LEO's go, I've never met one that would say having extras aboard is a bad idea, even if they are expired. DO make sure that you have the required # of current ones, though! The one time I ever needed to use flares on the water, it was blowing about 50 knots. I lit one to signal harbor patrol as to our location, and the wind was so powerful that a 1/2 hour flare lasted less than 2 minutes. I ended up burning at least 3 or 4 of them. We had several more that were expired aboard, just in case, and almost had to use them.

Better to be over prepared than under!

Mike
Maxed Out
Keep Clam !!
Sensei

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2018, 03:24:33 PM »

Expired flares work good for back up situations

Flares that shoot from the little pistol are pathetic and only work if it's not blowing. I like the commercial handheld flares that have much brighter flame and they go higher, and parachute makes them stay aloft longer

We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: