Hurd Super Caster Guide Repair

Started by C-nut, August 27, 2018, 04:11:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

C-nut

My dad as been gone for sometime now. Pulled his old rod out today. I never saw him catch fish on this one. I was thinking I might try just to say I did. Then put it away and probably hang it above the mantle. I read on line the metal rod is actually made from surplus tank antennas left over from WWII.

I'm sure the guides are not original and I need to replace one or both. The tip looks original.

Anyone know someone in southern CA that would replace it or possibly suggestions on teplacements? I'm sure I could do it, but if someone can do it period correct I'd be very happy.
Thank you,
Glenn

bhale1

Gtlenn,
First off, welcome! Enjoy your stay.
I cant help you as to "period correct" and such, I just wanted to say what a cool old combo that is. Really like that wood handle.
Im sure someone with more knowledge/info will chime in soon.
Bret

Reel 224

Let me understand what you are trying to do.

Replace guides with period guides?

Wrap them with period wrap?

If so, my suggestion would be hang it and have someone make a plaque with you fathers name and something honoring him.

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Midway Tommy

The first guide appears to be correct, the second guide is not original and the tip looks to be original. Most Hurd guides like your first one were wrapped with red thread on the outer wrap & yellow on the inner wrap closest to the braces. 
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Dominick

welcome Glenn.  That is one old beauty.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Penn Chronology

Very interesting to see a Hurd here. They are a byproduct of the Hurd Lock & Manufacturing Company and have an interesting history. The rod tips were made from WW II surplus Sherman Tank antennas.

They were actually pretty bullet proof with strong gear trains. Aluminum casting and steel gears. Great old antiques.

David Hall

oc1

That's a classic rod/reel.  Everyone likes the looks but we don't hear people swear by their performance, despite the styling and ergonomics.  Your dad may have come to the same conclusion.  The problem could be that big hulking levelwind gear.

Mike's schematic is interesting.  The spool can be disassembled.  The levelwind gear has one number on the drawing and a different number on the parts list.

Here's a guy that says the tank antenna story is an old wives tale.
https://www.hurdsupercaster.org/2017/06/20/spring-steel-rod-vs-tank-antennae/

I'm not sure these are exactly the same bridge guides, but they're very close and the price is right.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/5-Casting-Rod-Guides-Bridge-Style-5-32-I-D-s-Circa-1970s-Nos/123413039327?hash=item1cbbfd88df:g:IIIAAOSw2DBay9WP:rk:123:pf:0
Yeah, I know, this is an ebay violation.  Do we still do that?
-steve

Swami805

If it was me I'd leave it as your dad had it if it's a sentimental piece for you,a plaque is a great idea! If you want to restore it there's no big trick to wrapping a few guides on it,something you could do yourself. Be a nice winter project
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Rivverrat

Wow !

The checkering on the wood grip has been done by hand. This is a nice piece. Thanks for sharing... Jeff

Penn Chronology

QuoteHere's a guy that says the tank antenna story is an old wives tale.

During the war, one of the items Hurd made for the war effort was Tank Antennas. I do not think that every variation of Hurd Rod tips was a tank antenna; but, my info is that Hurd made tank antennas during the war and continued making steel rods after the war using the same tooling that they made the tank antennas with. I did not think it was much too much of a stretch to believe the hearsay history about the tank antenna used for a rod tip. It actually makes sense; but, I cannot document this. I have heard both opinions many times and choose to believe the tank antenna is part of the rod making history.