970 Mag bearings - what size?

Started by Pelagicide, August 27, 2018, 06:40:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pelagicide

In addition to a new handle and power knob, I'm planning on replacing the bearings with some ceramic ABEC 7's. I've never owned a 970 but I have owned and used a 980 for years and found it to be an excellent casting reel with anything from a 1 1/2 oz Plug all the way up to "8 + bait". But I figure it won't hurt to put faster bearings in, and it just might add some distance, and further is always better ;-) The schematics I have don't list the size of the bearings - does anyone know what they are? I think they are 1/8 x 3/8 x 5/32 but thought I would double check before ordering.

mizmo67

The 40 and 26 come as complete bearing/cap from Penn.
I've never had one apart and we don't have any notes on the bearing inside them.
~Mo

Maureen Albertson :)
Scott's Bait & Tackle / Mystic Reel Parts (Formerly PennParts.com)
Contact Me Via Store Website Please!
Orders/Support# +1 (609) 488-4637 (parts ordering or troubleshooting)
customerservice@mysticparts.com

Pelagicide

The handle side is easy to do and the abec 7 fits perfectly. The left side is more problematic. It does indeed come apart and there is a bearing in there. You may not sell the left cup taken apart but I assure you they are available - search on Ebay shows a lot of them available.

Pelagicide

In case anyone is interested, I reached out to the Penn service department and asked them what size bearing goes in the left hand side bearing cup - and yes, there is more in there than just a bearing - I got the picture from another thread, anyway the dimensions of that bearing is: OD .500", ID .187", Thickness .196"

Now if I can just find an ABEC 7 bearing with those dimensions I'll be all set, except for still needing an aftermarket handle and round power handle - anyone have one they'd like to sell?

Anyone else planning on a bearing upgrade? I've got an extra ABEC 7 for the right hand side if you need one, lol. If (when) I find the one for the left hand side I'll post the source for it so your project can move along at a faster pace than mine is plodding on at. As long as I can get it finished by mid October when Red Drum start showing up in surf I'll be happy.

Robert Janssen

Quote...the dimensions of that bearing is: OD .500", ID .187", Thickness .196"  Now if I can just find an ABEC 7 bearing with those dimensions I'll be all set...

Also known as R3 size. Avet uses that size as well, if that helps you.

Alto Mare

That pic looks familiar...

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Pelagicide

lol - Sorry I didn't attribute it to you, I had saved it a while back and couldn't remember where I got it from. I did at least say I got it from a different thread. It was a very helpful picture, thank you!

Alto Mare

Quote from: Pelagicide on September 15, 2018, 03:15:38 PM
lol - Sorry I didn't attribute it to you, I had saved it a while back and couldn't remember where I got it from. I did at least say I got it from a different thread. It was a very helpful picture, thank you!

;D...That's why they're here, so anyone can look :).

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

mizmo67

Quote from: Robert Janssen on September 15, 2018, 09:58:50 AM
Quote...the dimensions of that bearing is: OD .500", ID .187", Thickness .196"  Now if I can just find an ABEC 7 bearing with those dimensions I'll be all set...

Quote from: Alto Mare on September 15, 2018, 11:25:50 AM

Great info from everyone. I had this on the project list to dive into one of the bearings but the to do pile is 10" deep, so had not gotten to it yet. I'll close out that support ticket.

Added the bearing size notes to the 40-970 in the website.

Sal, can we also use that break down pic of the bearing? :)
~Mo

Alto Mare

Quote from: mizmo67 on September 15, 2018, 04:40:58 PM

Quote from: Alto Mare on September 15, 2018, 11:25:50 AM

Great info from everyone. I had this on the project list to dive into one of the bearings but the to do pile is 10" deep, so had not gotten to it yet. I'll close out that support ticket.

Added the bearing size notes to the 40-970 in the website.

Sal, can we also use that break down pic of the bearing? :)
Mo, I don't have much to offer, but anything you see anywhere on the site, go for it and never bother asking.

Sal

Pelagicide

Definitely helps, many thanks. The ones I bought are ceramic bearings. Boca Bearings has both sizes.

mizmo67

~Mo

Dominick

Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Gfish

I just replaced the bearings ona old Squidder. The tail-plate one looks like the same two parts on the 970, the cup(1/2" id.) and the keeper. The 970 looks much improved for adjustability with the spring, what looks like a spool tension-bushing and the bearing holder(thrust washer?). I like all that better, however my bearing only has a 1/8"(0.125") i.d., has the 1/2"(0.500) o.d., and has a 11/64"(0.172") thickness.
Just wonderin, could I integrate the spring, spool tensioner-bushing and thrust washer into my cup assembly? Would the 1/8" i.d. of the Squidder bearing prevent this from working?

Picture has the full cup assembly included up top.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!