Good Chrome Polish...S100 Motorcycle Total Cycle Finish Restorer

Started by kmstorm64, August 27, 2018, 07:44:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kmstorm64

I spent 34 years in the service between Active Duty and National Guard time. If there is one thing I am really good at, is shining ugly metal, leather, plastic and stuff most people would never polish.

One chrome polish I have found that works very well on chrome parts is S100 Motorcycle Total Cycle Finish Restorer. It comes in a tube, and a little goes a long way. I first learned the value of this stuff after riding along the Pacific Coast on my motorcycle. I didn't know it at the time, but my bike was covered in a fine salt from the wind blowing all that fine ocean mist everywhere. I let the bike sit covered for a couple of weeks. What I uncovered was a mess all of my chrome and aluminum pieces had been tainted by the salt.  I washed the bike, and then started the process of cleaning the parts that didn't clean up. Much to my amazement the S100 did a great job of getting the bike back to the way it should look.

So when I disassemble a reel with what appears to be some salt damage, grease or oil staining, scratches on the plastic or other cosmetic damage. I give the parts a wash, let them dry, then take the S100 to get them as good as I am going to get them.

I have old plastic and Bakelite side plates come out better (deep scratches are deep scratches, they don't come out, but the light ones can be buffed out with time, patients, and elbow grease). Those ugly reel stands, can be brought back to life if the pitting hasn't taken over, chrome supports love this stuff.

I also like it as the S100 line is  Bio-Degradable. 

Will it make your old reel that you found in the bottom of the bay look new, lets get serious nothing is saving that from the Gods of Pitting, but a some buffing with a compound can really help with light corrosion, or bring the chrome to high luster!
Bad day of fishing still beats a good day at work!

foakes

Thanks for the tip, Kevin!

Do you use the aerosol or the paste S100?

Is it as good or equivalent to Simichrome, Mother's, Nevr-Dull, or Turtle's Chrome Polish — in your experience?

Looks like a lot of places carry it, including WalMart & Amazon.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Benni3

Quote from: foakes on August 27, 2018, 08:22:35 PM
Thanks for the tip, Kevin!

Do you use the aerosol or the paste S100?

Is it as good or equivalent to Simichrome, Mother's, Nevr-Dull, or Turtle's Chrome Polish — in your experience?

Looks like a lot of places carry it, including WalMart & Amazon.

Best,

Fred
Didn't want to start a new tread,,,,, ;) but just got this in the mail and I have been wanting to try this stuff for years when I was painting fire trucks they sent me to the big plant in Pennsylvania that where I saw them using this stuff "wow",,,,,,, :o it made aluminum look like chrome,,,,,, :D after using it,,,it's more of a final polish this water pitcher got hit with degreaser it really needed to be wet sanded first and then turtle chrome or toothpaste,,, :-\ but that's ok,,,this stuff still works great and that what we do here fine out the best that works,,,,,,,, ;D

Donnyboat

Thank you Kevin, good post, very interesting, also Benni thanks, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Tiddlerbasher

I've always been a fan of Solvol Autosol. Years of polishing bare aluminium and chromed motorbike parts taught me its value.

smnaguwa

kmstorm64

Sorry took me a while to post back to this. 

S100 is in the paste form.

Brasso is less abras9ive than S100.  Both have their merits. 
Bad day of fishing still beats a good day at work!