Okuma Makaira vs Azores (Spinning Reel)

Started by Gobi King, August 27, 2018, 09:14:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gobi King

Quote from: boon on December 02, 2018, 11:29:14 PM
Once I've done the wraps, I do 4 alternating half-hitches around both the braid and leader, then 4 alternating hitches around the braid only, then a 3 turn Rizzutto to finish.

Boon, Danke!
Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

Tiddlerbasher

If you go with hollow braid you can simply splice the topshot into it - no knots - no problem ;)

Porthos

All my spinners with line have solid braid with a mono top shot. Since every spin rod I have is at least 7 ft, the top shots are at least 14'. I cast with all of them. The RP knot is used for mono top shots up to 15lb. For 20lb and above, I use a hollow core connection with the nub nail knots as described here:

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=23566.0

Every one of the hollow core connections for my 20lb, 40lb, 60lb, and 80lb spinner setups heldup for the entire 8-day SOA charter this year. The top shot on the 40lb setup was eventually reduced to a little under one rod length due to cutoffs and numerous reties; it will be bumped up to three rod lengths for next year's 8-day.

boon

Quote from: Tiddlerbasher on December 03, 2018, 07:40:55 PM
If you go with hollow braid you can simply splice the topshot into it - no knots - no problem ;)

I really like hollowcore, but splices are a hideous thing to do on the water, especially if it's a bit rough or there's a hot bite and you're rushing. The FG, I can tie in a couple of minutes and consistently get good strength. Some very good fishermen I know run hollowcore and will splice a leader in at home but if they bust off on the water they'll tie an FG or PR knot.

Gobi King

I am still learning knots and I have not successfully spliced hollow core yet (1st attempt with grandma's crochet needles was a bust  :P).

I have already loaded 100 lb solid braid on to 1 of the reels,
Hollow Core, the lightest I have is 80 lb hollow core, I am guessing the hollow core will be  a bit thicker than the solid,

I am not averse to either, but I agree with boon, that in a pinch, tying a knot will be fast.

Grandma volunteers at my youngest girl's elementary school and teaches crochet, she has a whole bunch crochet needles, so I thought I try my hand at splicing mono into hollow core ;D, darn needles were too thick  ::)
I bought some splicing needles from charbait

sorry, I am behind, the girls have been under the weather, need to take grandma to the doctors in a bit, I will give the fg with finish mentioned by boon a shot later today.

Thanks again,
Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

Dominick

Bryan sells threading needles for hollow core.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

ijlal

IMHO, we fishermen tend to make a fetish out of knots. Considering you'd normally be fishing at 20 to 30 lb of drag at max when fishing 80 lb, you'd still be well safe even if your Albrights break at 55lb.

I used to tie my leaders with a 30-turn Albright and later graduated to the FG. Never have any of my Albrights, or any of the other knots failed me. The only exception have been improperly tied FG's in the beginning that slipped open.

As long as you are able to do a few angling knots properly, you should be good. The debate on the best knot is more of a topic of interest when you're stranded in your living room because of bad weather!
I live 'fishing'!

boon

Quote from: ijlal on December 15, 2018, 11:37:14 AM
IMHO, we fishermen tend to make a fetish out of knots. Considering you'd normally be fishing at 20 to 30 lb of drag at max when fishing 80 lb, you'd still be well safe even if your Albrights break at 55lb.

I used to tie my leaders with a 30-turn Albright and later graduated to the FG. Never have any of my Albrights, or any of the other knots failed me. The only exception have been improperly tied FG's in the beginning that slipped open.

As long as you are able to do a few angling knots properly, you should be good. The debate on the best knot is more of a topic of interest when you're stranded in your living room because of bad weather!

I will turn that on it's head: if you only need 30lb of drag to catch the fish, leave the 80W game reel at home, spool something with 50lb braid (or less) and go catch it with that. Tie good knots and you should be able to put 30lb of pull through a (really) good 50lb outfit all day.
The "1 third drag" rule is for mono and the old knots we used to use that gave you about 50% on a good day. With braid and modern knots, you may as well just go down about 3 sizes in the outfit you're using and have a whole lot nicer time fishing. The good knots let you fish lighter gear, not pull harder on heavier gear. The exception is if you're fishing from a party boat at anchor and you need a whole lot of abrasion resistance.

Seriously, we have guys out here targeting striped marlin out to 300lb or so on Makaira 10's with 30lb braid. People routinely catch them with a Tiagra 30W and 30lb mono, so there's no reason why the modern equivalent wouldn't work. It gets pretty spicy if you hook a larger blue though...