How do you know you need new gears?

Started by steelhead_killer, February 06, 2016, 12:03:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

swill88

Have you tried the gears without the dogs in place?

They make a noise like that when in need of some 'shaving'?

steve

steelhead_killer

><)))">

FatTuna

I've found that jigmaster gears make noise in general. The gears will always be a bit louder under load. I've seen different types of gears in them too. The old steel main or the brass main. The brass will have a softer feel.

I just put a few brand new sets of gears in jigmasters and 112Hs. They make a little bit of a rumble.

One thing I've found that can influence gear noise in a worn yolk. I'd start with a new one if you haven't already.

Shot gears will vibrate and have a whirring sound. Sometimes it doesn't take much wear to give the gears a different feel. When I first started doing this I couldn't tell just from looking at a gear. Now I can notice imperfections in the gears. Take a look at the teeth with a magnifying glass. Sometimes it pays to have a new gear on hand just to compare them. I mainly judge it by feel and sound though.

In you video it sounded to me like the tape was hitting against the frame. Might be more going on but I'd start with reapplying the tape.

David Hall

I here a rough spot in there, I think its your main gear where I can see the rounding over of the teeth particularly in one spot.
Id try another gear in there and see if it feels better or worse.

Bryan Young

My jigmasters commonly feel and sound like that  my gears are either steel or stainless steel. Alan frequently tells me to replace the gears but I'm cheap and the gears still work so I fish the like it sounds.  Customers reels on the other hand, I switch them out. I do not like my customers to have Reels that feel rough.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Glos

Quote from: steelhead_killer on February 09, 2016, 09:02:13 PM
Took them out cleaned them inspected them I could only find one little nick in the gear.  It has to be something else.  Perhaps the gear and the pinion not lining up properly?  Going to swap out none good gear next...
if handled and opened 95 percent yes
I opened 3 new ones several times, took apart and assembeled, and it rumbles and ticks , all 3 now do that
Luck is when good preparation meets opportunity.

Reel 224

Happy to say after servicing the JigMaster that I have there is no growl sounds, I spin the handles and let them free spin for maybe 6-8 turns. It is very smooth, If it weren't I would further inspect the mesh of the main and Pinion gears, then the clutch. If they are SS gears then you cant get those gears to be noise free.

Joe 
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."