How to clean Jacoxe Bronson 25c reel

Started by Acetylcholin99, August 29, 2018, 04:33:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Acetylcholin99

A last question before I start the cleaning.
On my third picture you see in the back the black plastic cover plates with some metal inlays which I can't remove. So I think the best think to clean them would be LT on a toothpick or a small gauze and rub them trying not to touch any plastic parts. Do you think that this is a good idea?

Unfortunately I don't have an Ultrasonic cleaner. I am very surprised that there are so many ways to clean the reels... no golden standard.

El Pescador

Fred,

For lubes, you mention WRL191S.

Please elaborate more, I have no idea what lube WRL191S  does??

In Plain English...  "Vas ist das????"

Thanks.

Wayne
Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

Rivverrat

After some ones done elaborating for Wayne.  Could some one please do the same on this pic from Steve's post.   

To start there's many things wrong here or shouldn't be done that way or maybe my being from Kansas has me in a perpetual state of dismayed confusion.

Any how check that fellas rod out. It's all bent. Is it all bent like that because this is prior to angled handles for trolling ?  Also whats that dude on the left got on his face?  Did he have to rush fast to make the boat from his circus job ?  But remembered to bring his circus clown, prop rod ? But decided to let his buddy use it thinking it would keep him from catching any fish ?

Oh & the clothes there wearing. No body dressed like that here in Kansas to go fishing... Jeff  :P

foakes

Synthetic oil, Wayne —

Oil---WRL 191S synthetic Non-Petroleum Industrial Lubricant.

According to the claims--it resists corrosion from H2O & saltwater, cleans, restores preserves, penetrates rust, penetrates existing lubricants, non water soluble, repels salt water, high adherence, will not become tacky or harden, withstands extreme temperatures (-110 to +380), revitalizes rubber, use on all metals, rubber, vinyl, plastic. I Get it from a railroad wholesale jobber--costs about $84.00 a gallon. Apply with a needle syringe or small brush.

I have used it for about 14 years now, and am on my 4th gallon in that time.  Will get another gallon before the end of the year.

It was only sold to in large quantities to large corporate users such as the railroads, military, crane companies, shipyards, and marine maintenance operations — until recently.  I knew a guy who helped me get some.

Clean and evacuate your bearings — then just drop them in this oil for 20 minutes while doing other reels — and they seem to bring back to smoothness all except for the roughest scored bearing assemblies.

I think I heard that the WRL stands for Wire Rope Lubricant — don't know about the 191, but the S stands for synthetic.

Very good stuff that is economical and extremely effective for salt or fresh water reel servicing and performance.

It also mixes well with Yamaha Marine to cut the thickness of the grease down.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

El Pescador

Thanks Fred,

Is this a Jaymor Product???         From Fresno, CA????

http://www.jaymors.com/about-jaymors/     

Wayne 

foakes

Quote from: El Pescador on September 01, 2018, 08:15:13 PM
Thanks Fred,

Is this a Jaymor Product???         From Fresno, CA????

http://www.jaymors.com/about-jaymors/     

Wayne 

That's it, Wayne —

You can see a few of the large companies that use it, including NASA, here:

Our Product
Known for its highly effective lubricating properties, ease of use, being remarkably clean and environmental friendly, Jaymors 191S has outstanding longevity and out performs almost any well known lubricant on the market today per laboratory testing results.
Jaymor Enterprises is a major supplier to:

Norfolk Southern Railway
Amtrak
BNSF
Ace Hardware
Halliburton
Siemens
Amazon
Union Pacific Railroad
Canadian National Railways
Yosemite National Park
United States Postal Service
U.S. Army Corps of Engineers (USACE)
U.S. Bureau of Reclamation
Ferno-Washington Inc., The largest International manufacturer/supplier of medical equipment
Freeport-McMoran Inc., one of the largest copper mines in the world
United Parcel Services, as well as several major utility companies, state and logistic agencies throughout the United States.
Jaymor's synthetic lubricant 191s has now been approved by Amazon and has also been approved by Ace Hardware corporation and will soon be addressing many more of the big box stores. In March 2013 The Kennedy Space Center will conclude their testing on the 191s, which has already passed two out of their three tests.
Jaymor's has sold to Fortune 500 companies since 1993 and continues to do so today.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

El Pescador

thanks Fred,

I'm going to pick up a refillable Pen  - a Gallon will last me 23 lifetimes ;D

Wayne

Acetylcholin99

Fred!

What would be your suggestion to clean the metal parts which are firm  attached to the plastic cover plate and which I can't remove without damage the plastic parts or the metal parts?

Thx a lot for all your tips and suggestions!!

foakes

Soak the plates in Dawn dish soap and water for about 24 hours.

Then just attack the plates and metal pressed in pieces with a toothbrush while still wet with the soap.

You will get it clean!

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

Acetylcholin99

Thank YOU so much!!!

I will attack it now!

Best,

MIchael

Acetylcholin99

So as promised here are the pics from my first cleaning and restoration....
All in all I'm very happy with the cleaning with the Bronson reel. You see the quality differences. I attached some pics.

But I had some setbacks too. I tried to clean a new ZEBCO 404. And somehow the 24h soak in DAWN attacked the alloy of some of the parts. I took a pic of the Center shaft sub assembly which has now a grayish discoloration which I can take off... The pic is not very good it was very late as I reassembled the reel but you can see the color difference ( Pic on the second post)

Acetylcholin99

Here is the pic of the center shaft sub-assembly of the Zebco 404

Maybe I'm tiny bit biased but for the low quality reels like the modern Zebcos I would not soaked them for 24h hours in Dishwasher or to long in Vinegar ( This was my first and sad experience with a Zebco RT my sons first reel).
I did not see any problems with high quality reels like the Bronson reel. But I am totally aware that my experience is very very limited so far....

One little problem is still left with the Bronson reel shall I put tiny bit of oil at the gear wheels or not. They just work so perfect without oil....

I like to thank Fred and Steve for their tremendous help and their advice!!!