New Guy Looking to Build a 100 Pound Kit

Started by Crab Pot, September 11, 2018, 11:41:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crab Pot

Best rod selection in my area is Outdoor Pro Shops in Cotati.

It's a bit of a drive but I could spend all day in there.

I doubt they'll let me strap a small child or a 30 weight but I'll bring my drag scale and a reel to see if they'll allow that.

Haven't told the boss about the reel yet so I may have to lay low for a month or so... ::)
Buy it nice or buy it twice.

steelfish

Quote from: Crab Pot on September 14, 2018, 06:38:38 PM

The Phenix I'm looking at is the Axixs 40-100# HAX-780X2H in 7'-8".

Any other members using this rod?

I have the axis 802H 25-60lb rod and I use it for leopard groupers and 30# YT in Baja, Sea of cortez north, and its pretty good for that but any nice 30# groupers put a good bend on the rod with 25# drag, once you have a fish hooked the rod its kind of parabolic while figthing a 25-30# fish, so if you are  going cow town (cow fishing 200-300# tuna) I wont chose a rod marked 40 -100 lb on that phenix lineup (some say the sweet spot is right in the middle) that "might be" good 60 lb rod, no good for cows with 40# drag at least.

thats why I will build a 130# rod either a seeker or Calstar, Im not fishing for tuna but for bigger groupers or tunas if I ever go to a tuna trip.
The Baja Guy

Alto Mare

You know, I like to think I'm a tough guy, lifting 25 pounds with the rod gave me a hard time, I did it but wasn't easy.
Now I need to see someone lift a 3 year old with the rod😂
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Crab Pot

My Penn 20 VISX arrives tomorrow.

I ordered a Calstar 775XH today.

I have my name on the "no show" list at Seaforth Landing in case some cancels on a 3-4 day charter.

Hope to get out again at lest one more time this season.
Buy it nice or buy it twice.

Fishy247

QuoteNow I need to see someone lift a 3 year old with the rod😂

X2!!