Getting Started -- D.A.M. Quick Reels

Started by gblauvelt, August 31, 2018, 12:28:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gblauvelt

New to this board.

Getting back into fishing after a fairly long time off, and just wanted to get a sense of how to properly get started.  D.A.M. Quick reels are kind of nostalgic to me, so I am trying to acquire 2-3 reels for various needs (saltwater surf/pier, freshwater trout, maybe a reel for my son to use a few years down the road).  As I am putting stuff back together to get back into fishing, I was wondering what advice you might have to someone getting into older reels and what considerations should be made.  More specifically, what considerations should be made with these reels in terms of care and selecting reels where parts available.  Should I be looking to acquire specific parts for common issues/fixes or based on difficulty finding part?  A lot of the stuff that I remember dates to the later days of the German company (early 80s), but it seems like the parts might be a little more difficult to find for them than some slightly older models.  How much would you balance that or do you think that is even an issue?

I just want to make sure that as I start putting things together I have a plan to put myself in a position where the reels can last another 20-30 years.

Midway Tommy

You are correct in your thinking, parts for the last German made Dam Quick reels are near impossible to find. They knew they were on their way out so they didn't manufacture many repair or replacement parts. Many of them require a donor reel to cannibalize. Many parts are still out there for some of the better quality Dam reels from the '50s - '70's. Fred should be along shortly, he has a, seemingly, never ending supply of old Dam parts, along with a few other brands, too.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

festus

Quote from: gblauvelt on August 31, 2018, 12:28:42 PM
D.A.M. Quick reels are kind of nostalgic to me, so I am trying to acquire 2-3 reels for various needs (saltwater surf/pier, freshwater trout, maybe a reel for my son to use a few years down the road).
The D-A-M Quick 440 or 550 would be a good size for surf/pier.  You may be able to get by with a 330, which is smaller, according to what size fish and line capacity you need.  For freshwater trout, the Microlite 265, 110, or 110N is sufficient for fish up to 10 lbs. or so. For bigger fish the 220 is a great all purpose freshwater reel.  The 221 is a higher speed retrieve model of the 220 which is somewhat scarce, but many parts will interchange with the 220.

The reels I  mentioned were manufactured in the late 1960s and 1970s.  I have the entire collection of those and have found that parts aren't that difficult to find on ebay. As Tommy mentioned sometimes a donor reel is needed.  Fred or one of many Quick lovers may have most any part you need.

happyhooker

Welcome, gblauvelt, from Minnesota USA.

DAM Qs from back when are definitely well built; there are people on this site that can turn you on to parts sources.  There are Mitchell reels of various sizes from the time period you describe that are good reels, very fishable, and parts sourcing easier than most others.  A 408 for light/trout, 302 for salt & a 300, 300A or C or 400 for general use.

Frank

foakes

Welcome aboard!

If an average condition DQ is serviced and restored properly with new drags and a few new small key parts — I would personally have no doubts it would perform well for a few more decades.

These are overbuilt reels, that will handle the occasional trophy fish above its pay grade easily — and will not experience gear lock-up, alignment issues, premature wear, or out of tolerance problems.

I would use modern lubricants.

And the only DQ that I would use in the salt would be a 270 Super.

I specialize in the older reels such as DQ, Mitchell, and many others.  So if you need any help, advice, or parts — post it up — and myself or other experts on here will be glad to try to assist you.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

gblauvelt

Thank you all for the responses.

Midway Tommy,

Definitely trying to find that balance of reel and part availability.  Seems like for a few reels, if you can't find two, doesn't make sense to buy.

Festus,

I think I'm looking at a DM 110N in terms of a nice reel for freshwater trout, fish up to 10 lbs.  That seems to be fairly good balance of quality and part availability for smaller reel.  Might use a Mitchell for general purpose.  Still need to figure out proper surf/pier reel.

happyhooker,

Actually stumbled on a 1966 Mitchell 300 yesterday that someone cared about and used a fair amount (found a collection of old rods/reels, mostly early Daiwas (really nice 7250RL that looks new, couple of 7600s), Mitchell 300, some Penn Super Mariners, no DQ).  I think I might try to put the time and effort into getting that Mitchell back into use for a general reel.  Should be relatively easy to find parts for it.

Fred,

Can I ask your rationale behind only advising on using 270 Super in the salt?  Is this a combination of reliability/ease to obtain new parts?  I haven't seen much in terms of the 270 Supers recently, and that was a reel that I was not considering before.  I think the DM 5001 is a reel that I have admired first just because it looked neat and later because of the engineering.  My concern with that reel is that it is probably too much for my needs, and it doesn't seem like parts are as readily available.

Thank you again everyone for your help.

foakes

A 550, 550N, 270 Super, 5000, or 5001 are good salt reels,

The 270 is my first choice, followed by the 5001.

The 270 since it is made for Salt Water, many of the parts are special material or tougher finish resistance processes to reduce salt damage.  It is dead simple, strong, a minimum of parts, and has a metal spool.

The 5001 is also a favorite, due to the great drag system and metal spool.

Any other DQ reel can be fished in the Salt — and the 440 sizes are touted as light salt water reels or HD fresh water — but they really aren't good at holding up in the salt.  Sometimes the marketing guys in suits have precedence over the engineers.  Their advertising claims reflect that.

IMO.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

gblauvelt

Fred,

Thanks for the response.

My mistake was in not realizing that many reels that are marked as Super are the 270 Super, though it looks like there are a couple later variations of the 270 that are slightly different.  I'll keep my eyes out for those original 270s.

Rivverrat

DAM Quick reels take a lot of work. Better newer stuff  :o

TJAndrews

Quote from: Rivverrat on October 23, 2018, 05:27:25 PM
DAM Quick reels take a lot of work. Better newer stuff  :o

Oh, I dunno. I've owned a Quick 331 spinning reel since it was new, over 45 years ago. I use it for smallmouths and walleyes on the NY part of the St. Lawrence River.

So far, it's needed the occasional line change, an occasional cleaning/re-lubing, and three bail springs. That's it. And it still feels just as solid and dependable as the day my parents gave it to me. Everything works, and I mean EVERYTHING.

In fact, I've been so happy with it that I bought two more Quick reels on eBay, costing me $40 for the pair. They've been neglected, and need cleaning/re-lubing, and new line of course - but the bail springs are OK. I've cleaned one so far, and now that it has some fresh grease it feels just as good as the one I've had for years.

I have some serious doubts that many of the newer reels would hold up as well, and certainly none that I can afford..

foakes

Quote from: TJAndrews on November 19, 2018, 02:19:59 PM
Quote from: Rivverrat on October 23, 2018, 05:27:25 PM
DAM Quick reels take a lot of work. Better newer stuff  :o

Oh, I dunno. I've owned a Quick 331 spinning reel since it was new, over 45 years ago. I use it for smallmouths and walleyes on the NY part of the St. Lawrence River.

So far, it's needed the occasional line change, an occasional cleaning/re-lubing, and three bail springs. That's it. And it still feels just as solid and dependable as the day my parents gave it to me. Everything works, and I mean EVERYTHING.

In fact, I've been so happy with it that I bought two more Quick reels on eBay, costing me $40 for the pair. They've been neglected, and need cleaning/re-lubing, and new line of course - but the bail springs are OK. I've cleaned one so far, and now that it has some fresh grease it feels just as good as the one I've had for years.

I have some serious doubts that many of the newer reels would hold up as well, and certainly none that I can afford..

Thanks, TJ —

Your evaluation is one of the best I have ever read regarding Quicks, and it applies to other QUALITY spinners of the era generally between 1960 to 1985.  These are mostly Penn, Mitchell, Garcia, Shakespeare, ABU & Zebco Cardinals, and DQ's.

At one point, I thought it was crazy to stock all of these Penn, Mitchell, and DQ parts.  After all, if I did not have the parts — they would not be as easily restored and a part replaced from time to time.  But then I realized that since about 1985, most spinning reels that were much sharper looking, shinier, smoother, and made of plastics, graphite's, and Tupperware — did not hold up.

And to add fire to the flame — the manufacturer's would discontinue replacement parts after a couple of years, anyway.

So, at least for me, and a few other knowledgeable anglers — why not stay with what I know works and holds up?

After having perhaps 10's of thousands of reels on my benches, over 4 or 5 decades — an appreciation has been gained for the manufacturer's that put pride, planning, engineering, quality materials, as well as an anglers point of view, into their products.  They were not making reels for obscelescence — they were building and designing reels for generations.

We talk drag numbers, special fancy braided lines, high tech A/R bearings — but it is easy to forget that a great fishing experience can be had very inexpensively — by a knowledgeable angler using a 40 year old quality spinner — matched with an appropriate fiberglass rod — and enjoying the art and function of using skillfully the rod, reel, and their knowledge — to fill a creel.

Many folks cannot comprehend what we might be talking about with these older, quality, metal, well-engineered, seemingly simple reels — and that is 👍 OK — since it keeps the demand lower on the Vintage Spinning Reels we know and love — from the "Golden Age of Spinners".  It does take time on the bench, time on the shoreline, or time on the rail to truly start to understand.  Or, at least, listening to folks who have been using these reels for decades successfully.

Just my thoughts on a Monday morning.

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone!

Best Always,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

Rivverrat

TJ,  whats said here on this site has great influence. It can make things not so affordable.  I am fully aware of the nature of these reels & how well they stand in comparison.... With this in mind....   My comment was made with tongue firmly placed in cheek  ;D ... Jeff

Midway Tommy

Quote from: Rivverrat on November 19, 2018, 06:41:58 PM
TJ,  whats said here on this site has great influence. It can make things not so affordable.  I am fully aware of the nature of these reels & how well they stand in comparison.... With this in mind....   My comment was made with tongue firmly placed in cheek  ;D ... Jeff

I knew that when you posted it, Jeff, mainly because I know you still fish them.   ;)

TJ, most of us here highly appreciate those, and a few others, that Fred mentioned. Many of us view a good number the post '70s Asian made reels, other than the most expensive, more or less as throwaways, and even some of the expensive examples are better thrown away rather than repaired. Treat those DQ's nicely and the will return the favor many times over.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

happyhooker

It's hard, sometimes, to put a finger on why someone might like/prefer the "Golden Age" spinning reels to newer stuff. it's not exactly comparable to someone who likes, say, old cars.  Old cars don't always run so well, they take a lot of maintenance and they don't even always perform as well as newer cars.  But they look good and they bring back good memories.  Old reels take a lot of maintenance compared to newer models, but they also look good & bring back memories.  The performance point, though, is much closer, and some older reels are better performers than newer reels, particularly in regards to longevity and durability.

Frank