Yellow Jacket's ugh!!!

Started by STRIPER LOU, September 02, 2018, 02:27:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Midway Tommy

Quote from: STRIPER LOU on September 03, 2018, 12:56:09 PM

Had a critter come out of the ground the other day and it was huge. Kind of an orange color and between a hornet and a wasp but 3 times the size. Nothing I'd be willing to mess with!

Thanks for the comments and suggestions,  ..  Lou

That might have been a Cicada Killer https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sphecius_speciosus They look scary like a wasp but they're harmless. There's been a lot of them around lately do to the number of cicadas (what some call locusts but they're really not a locust).
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

theswimmer

We control all manner of bees and flying insects with hanging traps. Homemade from 2 ltr pop bottles and baited with bacon or lunch meat  for the bees and milk or yogurt for the horse and face flies.
The meat bees in our area can be very dangerous , putting a man in the hospital from just 5 or 6 bites.

My son Dylan when he was 16 or so set 4 traps in the spring , he was counting at first but within a week was keeping score by volume.  In one month he had killed a full 2 gallons of meat bees. We don't have nearly the problem we used to have  , but I follow his lead and set and maintain about 8 - 10 traps from early spring to fall.
No pesticides and I can be outside and work all day without being stung .

P S
I just came down from Wishon lake for the long weekend .
Friday afternoon we had horrible bee problem.  Couldn't be outside the tent or car without being harassed .
Poured out 2 Gatorade bottles and made 2 traps , within 1 hour , a huge improvement , and in 2 hours the problem was solved .
By Saturday noon the traps were full of bees and had to be emptied and re baited.
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

JoseCuervo

You might check out this link from MouseTrap Monday, he traps everything. About halfway through he gets into the water trap, apparently YJ's drop down a couple of inches in the air after departing their landing zone and end up in the water and drowning. The soap as a surfactant is key.

https://binged.it/2Nt4PCY

Keta

Quote from: Alto Mare on September 03, 2018, 09:27:30 AM
let's try not to put them all out, those work very hard to give us a better life.

Sal

They kill and eat flys but they also kill and eat my bees.  In the past I rarely killed wasps and hornets but now I have to protect my colonies.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

theswimmer

Quote from: JoseCuervo on September 06, 2018, 09:13:04 PM
You might check out this link from MouseTrap Monday, he traps everything. About halfway through he gets into the water trap, apparently YJ's drop down a couple of inches in the air after departing their landing zone and end up in the water and drowning. The soap as a surfactant is key.

https://binged.it/2Nt4PCY

The yellow jackets and meat bees will eat so much that they can't fly , fall in the water and drown.
For the soap I prefer Dawn 😎
And cheap bacon is the killer bait.
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

Rivverrat

What ever they are they make a fantastic bait for big perch... Jeff

Shark Hunter

I mainly only have wasps. They build nests under the deck boards on my railing.
We have an agreement, and I leave them alone. ;)
When I'm out there, they fly in and out, but don't harass me.
Brake cleaner will kill them instantly if they become a threat.
I haven't had to do that for several years.
Probably 10 years ago, I had some type of Huge bee that hung out by the mail box.
I'm talking 4" long. It was so protective of its space, it would chase the birds flying by, and I couldn't check the mail until after dark.
I was told by farmers at my work, that it was a type of fruit bee? It was Big and Scary. Black Butt with yellow stripes and Red wings.
It looked like a Yellow Jacket on Steroids.
Anyway, I thought I found their hole and poured some gas into it at about dusk.
It was right at the edge of the driveway.
I went back to put the gas can in the garage and grabbed a shop towel.
Lit it and dropped it toward the hole, and backed up quick. All I heard was a Wawooom! and the driveway actually shook.
I don't know what was living in there, but it perished that evening.
The Giant bees were still there the next day.
They were so large, They were shot one by one with a bb gun from the house when they landed on the front porch from a cracked window.
Sorry for the long winded story, but I find it funny to this day.
The wife was not happy when the fumes of the gasoline filled the hole that was much longer than I thought and the flame shot out 6 feet in the air. ;D

Life is Good!

Keta

I mix cheep dish soap in water and spray it on wasps and hornets, it does not kill them as fast as carb or brake cleaner but it slows them down until they die.

I don't know but exposure to honey bee stings seems to help me with wasp stings., bee stings still hurt but not all that bad, a friend and former beekeeper had to sell her bees because she had a bad reaction to one sting. She made it to her house and used a epipen, she's a nurse, but passed out before it took effect.  She hit her head on something when she fell but it did not do much damage.  A week later the sting area was still swollen and it looked like a large bruise. Her husband told her no more bees.  I was removing 4 large wasp nests in the attic crawlspace a few weeks ago and did not see the one above my head before 5 or so hit my arms.  The stings hurt but not that bad and I had no swelling or itching.

Bumblebee stings hurt bad, bald face hornets are almost as big of jerks as ground wasps but their sting is worse. 

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain