China made Jigmaster

Started by RamseyReelRepair, September 03, 2018, 08:51:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RamseyReelRepair

Does anyone have any thoughts on the China made Jigmaster? Built better or worse? Pros and cons?

West
Check out the website and gallery!
😎http://www.ramseyreelrepair.com😎

RowdyW

It's the same as the USA model except it has ss screws instead of plated brass screws.

RamseyReelRepair

Well that's a plus. Any other thoughts?

West

RowdyW

Take your pick......6 of one or a half dozen of the other.  :D

RUSTY OLD COLT

The ones I have serviced for a few friends are holding up good . No problems just regular cleaning once a year .

RamseyReelRepair

My buddy is under the impression that they aren't built as well. Maybe he got some bad info?

West

RowdyW

A lot of people just make that assumption because they see a made in China label. Do you think that Penn is risking their reputation selling an inferior product? Service a few & form your own opinion.

Gfish

I probably wouldn't buy one. But that's cause I don't have any info. on the longevity and sturdiness of the H2's, and because I'm prejudiced against almost anything made in China. Not a good feeling to think of myself as prejudiced, but I believe most people are probably more so, then they think they are. Now if my wife, who in a sense is made in China, reads this, shes gonna transform form the sweet little China-doll I married, into a fire breathing dragon lady and roast me with her chinglish condemnation.

They do seem to have a diffrent look on the outside parts---a cheaper look?... Really though, I'd need some good empirical data based on time of use and strength testing.

In a pinch, if I really wanted/needed a 500, I'd buy one.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Vintage Offshore Tackle

From my experiencing buying and selling several hundred Jigmasters, it appears to me that the quality of the plating of the external and internal metal parts is significantly inferior on the Chinese reels.  Most of the Jigmasters that I see are twenty years old plus, and some are a lot older, yet the metal parts show much less corrosion and other finish problems than the few Chinese reels that I have seen, which cannot be even half as old as most of the USA reels.  For that reason, I try to avoid them, and if I do get stuck with one as part of a large lot, I quickly unload it to one of the other local re-sellers.

RowdyW

Randy, the external parts are not plated, they are ss. That's why they are not as shiny as chrome plateing. Because chrome plateing is fazing out throught the world is because it is very poisonous to the enviorment. Just look at the auto industry, no more chrome bumpers or side trim. Now it's all plastic. When they start replaceing the ss rings & hardware with plastic on our reels then it will be time to look down on our reels.

Alto Mare

Quote from: RowdyW on September 04, 2018, 07:00:46 AM
Randy, the external parts are not plated, they are ss. That's why they are not as shiny as chrome plateing. Because chrome plateing is fazing out throught the world is because it is very poisonous to the enviorment. Just look at the auto industry, no more chrome bumpers or side trim. Now it's all plastic. When they start replaceing the ss rings & hardware with plastic on our reels then it will be time to look down on our reels.
The quality of the stainless steel  isn't great and it will rust faster than it should, unless you really keep an eye on it and service the reel often.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

RowdyW

It's also difficult to find USA Jigmaster chrome that isn't pitted.

mike1010

I have no experience with Chinese Jigmasters, but I did service a friend's Chinese 249, and parts were so far out of tolerance that it was hard to reassemble.  Okay, sample size one, but that's enough to leave me very skeptical of the Chinese versions of classic Penns.

RamseyReelRepair

Thanks for the input guys.

West

foakes

Everything in perspective —

Everything said before is true, except we are forgetting this:

The 500 is a $72 salt water fishing reel that is extremely capable, versatile, has been around in the same design for many decades, plus is one of the most capable and dependable reels for a wide range of salt water.

Yes, US JM's can be modified and upgraded 100 different ways — to the point where we have $400 or $500 invested in one of these.

Maybe it is not for us Reel Nerds here on Alan's site — But as is, it is hard to beat for the average angler — whether built in China or the US.

As a repair guy, if anyone wants to know how I service and repair these profitably — and have plenty of parts in stock — PM me.

Just my opinions...

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.