China made Jigmaster

Started by RamseyReelRepair, September 03, 2018, 08:51:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoseCuervo

What is the story on Chinese made Jigmasters anyway? I mean, nothing in the listing for the one on Amazon mentions Country of Origin at all as far as I could tell (but I may be mistaken..), and there is only the stock photo, no box pictures.

https://www.amazon.com/Penn-Jigmaster-500L-Conventional-Fishing/dp/B00144AI58/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1536103972&sr=8-1&keywords=penn+jigmaster+reel

How do you know where it was made? Can anyone post a picture as an example?

Thanks in advance-

ETA: Is it the sideplate(s)? A zoom from Amazon shows "retrieve", I don't recall seeing that before.

Gobi King

Mine says
Made with pride in China

;D
Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

JoseCuervo

Quote from: Gobi King on September 05, 2018, 02:44:59 AM
Mine says
Made with pride in China

;D

Thanks Gobi King, I think that clarifies it. I don't have any like that, but am glad I would know where to look for evidence. It is a sticker that could be removed, is that right? Does the gearside plate say "retrieve"? The pic I cropped from Amazon doesn't have the classic round Penn stamp that looks like one you might imprint in wax on a letter in the OLD days. I guess both of those are telltale signs of an import.

Thanks for the pic-

Rob

ETA: Did it come in a box that wasn't thin, brown carboard? A plastic clamshell?

Gobi King

Quote from: JoseCuervo on September 05, 2018, 03:04:35 AM

Thanks Gobi King, I think that clarifies it. I don't have any like that, but am glad I would know where to look for evidence. It is a sticker that could be removed, is that right? Does the gearside plate say "retrieve"? The pic I cropped from Amazon doesn't have the classic round Penn stamp that looks like one you might imprint in wax on a letter in the OLD days. I guess both of those are telltale signs of an import.

Thanks for the pic-

ETA: Did it come in a box that wasn't thin, brown carboard? A plastic clamshell?

[/quote]

Rob, it is a sticker,
yes, it does say retrieve, yes, you are correct no round penn stamp. it came in a box.

I don't have an older jigmaster yet, but from the other reels I have the materials feels/look different. especially the side plates
Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

Vintage Offshore Tackle

I am pretty sure that if it doesn't sat "Made in USA" on the side plate, it isn't.

kmstorm64

Quote from: JoseCuervo on September 05, 2018, 03:04:35 AM
Mine says
Made with pride in China

;D

Thanks for the pic-

Rob

you can remove a sticker but it doesn't change the fact that it was made by under paid people who don't live in a free country.
Bad day of fishing still beats a good day at work!

Reel 224

Tut-Tut-Tut ;) :D :D Play nice.........................Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

nelz

So how is chrome hazardous to the environment?

RowdyW

Quote from: nelz on September 13, 2018, 07:53:02 PM
Because of the chemicals being used and the disposal of them.  A hazardous process.

nelz

Quote from: RowdyW on September 13, 2018, 08:00:52 PM
Quote from: nelz on September 13, 2018, 07:53:02 PM
Because of the chemicals being used and the disposal of them.  A hazardous process.

So you're saying the production process then. Ok, makes sense.

Rivverrat

I may be wrong.  I believe the newer Penn reels from China are better than what first came here.

If fishing only US made stuff is your thing I understand. However you would be hard pressed to find a reel at this price made any where that would last as long if the internals are kept clean & lightly coated with grease... Jeff

Gfish

Mine says
Made with pride in China

;D
Yup. But didja notice WHERE they put the sticker? Don't look like pride to me...On the Chinese Jiggies, I think it'll say: 500L on the box.
Also, it looks like the "retrieve" on the head-plate is replacing maybe the "on/off" for the eccentric lever that I've seen on some Penns, i.e., retrieve=in gear, not in free spool.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

nelz

LOL, yeah, and it's so easy to remove. It ain't molded onto the bakelite, that's fer sure!

nelz

Quote from: Rivverrat on September 13, 2018, 08:53:15 PM
I may be wrong.  I believe the newer Penn reels from China are better than what first came here.

Jeff, are you saying the later release Chinese reels are better than the earlier ones, or that they're better than the USA made?

What are you basing your assessment on?

Rivverrat

Quote from: nelz on September 13, 2018, 09:58:38 PM
Quote from: Rivverrat on September 13, 2018, 08:53:15 PM

Jeff, are you saying the later release Chinese reels are better than the earlier ones, or that they're better than the USA made?

What are you basing your assessment on?

The few later model China ones I've seen seemed to be a bit better than the first China ones that came over.  But I dont get to handle or see the number of them that some here do... Jeff