New Tycoon addition

Started by 1badf350, September 05, 2018, 09:45:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swami805

That's a beautiful rod in amazing condition for it's age, great find. Wrapping one must be a chore, I'm thinking the rod must be stationary and the spool of thread wrapped around it?
Do what you can with that you have where you are

54bullseye

Quote from: Swami805 on September 07, 2018, 02:54:55 AM
That's a beautiful rod in amazing condition for it's age, great find. Wrapping one must be a chore, I'm thinking the rod must be stationary and the spool of thread wrapped around it?

Sheridan

I bet they had special pieces / jigs made to slip over rod to make it round so it could spin right on the lathe. Possibly a two piece rig that fit together over rod making it round then maybe taped on ??   Dave and I were talking and speculating about it a while ago.   
John Taylor

Swami805

That would make sense John. Either that or something like a wood lathe that would hold the piece at both ends.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

droppedit

That would be the only way to make a bunch of these. 2-3 jigs with the center in shape of the blank but then split in half so you could remove then after the guides are on. Probably taped over the outside would be my guess. Great find Doug! Keep up the good work as you have to keep John on his toes.

Dave
Some days the supply of available curse words is insufficient to meet my demands.

http://www.turnerscustomrods.com

1badf350

I bet they did it like this

-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

thorhammer

thorhammer

Slowly hand-wrapped,  cradled in two supports cut out in a "U" rather than a "V" and lined with felt or leather. I still wrap this way now; sometimes I have rollers on the butt end framing the cutout.

John

The Great Maudu

Nice find! I would be tempted to fish it once just to know what they were like.

54bullseye

Quote from: The Great Maudu on September 11, 2018, 02:47:36 AM
Nice find! I would be tempted to fish it once just to know what they were like.

Mike the old thread gets very brittle on those old rods and the wood gets dry as well. A rod like that retied isn't worth nearly as much as an original !!! My self I wouldn't use it.    John Taylor

Penn Chronology

MY favorite collectible rod. Someday I may even own one.

The Bimini King is all vertical laminations. It was the celebrity rod of its day.

1badf350

I got this one this week. Its a Bimini King. It was rebuilt at some point but looks like it was rebuit by the right people.
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."

droppedit

Chris, the last picture says rebuilt by and then the decal. Would you post a close up of that? I'm just curious of who did that and if they are still around.

Dave

Some days the supply of available curse words is insufficient to meet my demands.

http://www.turnerscustomrods.com

Penn Chronology

Quotegot this one this week. Its a Bimini King. It was rebuilt at some point but looks like it was rebuit by the right people

Thy did a fine job but sticking to original is very important to me. I have had a couple of rods done over the years. One is in a museum in Florida now. The most important thing with these rods is sticking to the old ways, basically use Varnish instead of Epoxy for the top coats, try to save whatever you can, use matching color wraps and to photo the rod ID's before you start, then reproduce them before you varnish. These rods are historic by today's standards.

Fin-Nor / Tycoon stuff could have belonged to many different celebrities, they have great histories. One never knows who the rods can be researched back to. Good guys and Quasi-Bad Guys.....

1badf350

-Chris

54bullseye

Check this one out. I bought the wooden bent butt off eBay for a "buy now" of $150 a while ago  and finally found a Bimini King tip that fits it .  
John Taylor