Tanacom 1000 help please

Started by Bloggsy, September 07, 2018, 05:08:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bloggsy

Hi I need some assistance after stripping down my 2 Tanacom 1000 and ordering bearings & O rings it was a a couple of months before I got back to reassemble. I have forgotten where one washer goes. They were next to the Drag collar A but I cant find this washer listed in the schematics or any on line tutorial. I have attached photos where I believe it may go but would appreciate some help as to whether I am right or not. The washer is 11.9mm o.d. x 8.13mm i.d. x .96mm thick and it fits over the drive shaft nicely and into the recess of the Drag collar. I have included the schematic where I think it should be.

Thanks
Bloggsy .

Bloggsy

I still have no definitive answer on this washer issue surely someone has had these apart? All I can assume is that it was a later addition/upgrade. Daiwa have not replied to any of my emails I have attached some more photos of possible location.

xaf

Is it a Tanacom 1000 (American) or Tanacom Bull 1000 (Japanese)?  The reason I ask is that the schematics are slightly different.  If you can wait I plan on servicing my Tanacom 1000 in about a week.  I can take some pictures and post them to the thread.

Bloggsy

Thank you so much for the reply it's interesting that you ask where it came from because it is almost as if it is a hybrid. I am in Australia but the reel came from Japan and is labelled as a Tanacom 1000 but it has the Set Plate (item 7 in schematic attached) that the Tanacom Bull has and the Tanacom 1000 doesn't have as far as I have been able to make out looking at the 1000 schematics. And the operating manual that came with it is for a Tanacom Bull. Even the handle knob is different from both the 1000 and the bull. The reel only has the 4 bearings not the 7 of the Bull.
That said I have 2 and they are both the same.
As I have said I am wondering if this washer was a later modification.
Either way I would be most appreciative if you could post your findings when you do strip the reel and I am more than happy to wait. Here's hoping that the one you do does have the mysterious washer!
Cheers.

alantani

i've never had one of these apart before, but generally you put a flat thrust washer next to a bearing, bushing or spring/belleville washer.  the problem is, this doesn't help you at all.  if you're lucky, it's just a spacer and the location will not matter. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

xaf

Bloggsy, Sorry but afraid I can't be of much help.  When I tore my Tanacom 1000 down it did not have the "mysterious" washer.  Mine is exactly as the schematic:  drag stack, # 88 collar, #89 (plastic) bearing, 4 # 105 Spring washers, #106 & 107 Cap & leaf spring, and # 108 Washer. 

My main objective was to check my drags so I don't know if I will tear mine down any further.  If I do tear it down further and run across anything that resembles your washer I will let you know. 

Gobi King

What year is your tanacom?
I have a couple downstairs from 2 years back still in box, I can take a peek.

FYI: here is why I take pics of as I disassemble, my memory is not that great anymore, it is a bummer that the schematic does not have the washer listed, was this a new reel purchase on your part?
Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

Donnyboat

Hi Xaf, did the drag stack, have CF washers or felt washer, or any other, thanks Don.
Don, or donnyboat

xaf

I changed them to carbontex washers about a year ago.  The originals appear to be a hard fiber material. 

xaf

Bloggsy, how far did you tear your reel down?  If you dismantled it completely take a look at washer # 33 on the schematic. Any chance that it is where your spare washer goes?  

Hate to mention this but what dumb a** I am.  When I had mine apart I accidentally knocked it off the bench on to the floor. As you can see, the right side plate didn't fair to well, there is a large chunk of plastic missing.   So Monday I will be calling Daiwa to order a new one.

Bloggsy

Hi Gobi King It would be much appreciated if you could check for me. My reels are 2 years old and were bought new by me.

Hi xaf I have washer #33 and it is a much larger size and what a bummer damaging your side cover  :o

xaf

Just ordered a new one from Daiwa in Calif for about $35 US.  Not quite as bad as i thought it might be.

xaf

Bloggsy,  Did you ever find out where the washer you have should be installed?  Just curious.

Bloggsy

Alas no sort of been waiting for a couple of people who haven't replied yet that were going to have a look at their's to see if the mystery washer existed and as it hasn't been very good fishing weather lately I still have the reels in pieces.

Bloggsy

You would not believe it 10 minutes after sending my last reply a mate who has been working away at sea dropped by to see what I was doing and have a beer. I explained about replying to this forum and my issue with the reel. He said "Oh I have just bought one of those lets go to my place and have a look at it"
And there it was the mysterious washer in location No.2
Problem solved I now have confirmation of location and will now go ahead and reassemble ;D