Salmon Fishing IS A NO GO, Sept. 6, 2018

Started by El Pescador, September 07, 2018, 12:56:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

El Pescador

Dominick and I booked yesterday, Sept. 6, for a day of salmon fishing on the Hulicat, Half Moon Bay.

We arrive at the boat around 5:15am - no one is there.

Which is strange, guys like to get their spot on the boat, and arrive early for that reason,

5:30am, still no one, this is not smelling good.

GO TIME is 6 am, the boat leaves the dock, Dom calls the boat captain around 6 am, and he tells us the day has been cancelled, NO SALMON around the area.  Well, tanks for telling us.

So we head out for breakfast, and at 6:30am, NOTHING was open until be arrive at the 24 hr. diner cafe and pie place - Heidi's Pies!!!!

Great breakfast and we noticed this guy at the counter, wearing a Taku Glacier Air Inc. jacket - I googled Taku Glacier Air, it is a plane service in Juneau, AK and Dominick's say, "Hey that guy looks like our friend, Gary the BUTTMAN"!

I said "Hardly????"""

The guy at the counter COMBS his hair!!! ;D ;D ;D

Hey Gary!  When's Salmon Season??????

A day not fishing is still better than working!!!!! Until another day...

Wayne

Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

swill88

You got up early and had a good breakfast.  Sounds like a great day!

thanks for the report.

Steve

Gfish

Did the capt. give you guys a reason why you in particular were not called? Sounds like others got the word.

I had that happen once, 'cept they were going at the appointed time, only with 2 other people(i.e., could make more money, than just takin me). Not only bad business ethics, as I'd scheduled before these other guys, but not calling me and at least lying about the situation sos I didn't get up early and drive alla way there? Lazy and cowardly IMNHO.

Really seems like charter guys take some kinda "moral license" to do what they want or not what they should, more so than other businesses in general...
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

El Pescador

GFish,

I'll ask Dominick to chime in, he arranged for the trip and spoke with Capt. Tom on several occasions,

there was blame for the internet site where we sign up for future trips,

Butt to be fair, I've fished on the Hulicat 6-7 times, and have good things to say for the boat and capt. Tom.

Reely don't know exactly what happened here,

and I'll be back salmon fishing when they are running off our coast.

Wayne

gstours

Sorry  Wayneo n Dommie,  As a chime in,  the skipper, owner, or somebody certainly had a certain responsibility to you.   How hard did they try is not known.   Butt thats why I couldn,t promise salmon fishing to anybody as my schedule had too many interuptions.   Ive heard of some good fishing butt i was away and still not back home yet.   

Thanks for showing my backside resemblance and a great big breakfast.   Good luck next time.  At least you tried. ;) ;)

Jim Fujitani

That doesn't sound normal for that captain.  He is usually pretty well-respected, enough to be elected to the county harbor commission, I believe.

And WOW!! How strange is that, running into an on-line acquaintance miles away from home?

Reminds me of the time that I chartered a six pack for albacore out of Bodega Bay in 2001.  We were in the tackle shop before departing and I thought I recognized a guy at the counter.  I called out to the guy, and it was a friend I had made 25 years earlier at Humboldt! I yelled at him asking if he was with anyone else, and going out on another 6-pack.  He yelled back, "look behind you!".  My ex-roomie from Humboldt was standing behind me!  They were booked on the other 6-pack.

Their boat did well.  Sorry to say, our boat lost an engine, and came back with one peanut, 3-hours late because of running on one engine.

Gfish

Quote from: El Pescador on September 07, 2018, 03:19:45 PM
GFish,

I'll ask Dominick to chime in, he arranged for the trip and spoke with Capt. Tom on several occasions,

there was blame for the internet site where we sign up for future trips,

Butt to be fair, I've fished on the Hulicat 6-7 times, and have good things to say for the boat and capt. Tom.

Reely don't know exactly what happened here,

and I'll be back salmon fishing when they are running off our coast.

Wayne
OK. Probably rantin based on own past experiences/resentments. Your word about Hulicat-Capt. Tom is good enough for me. Be back in the Bay next Summer, maybe I'll check him out as I never patronized his business before. Any opinions bout Queen of Hearts- Capt. Bob?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

El Pescador

Gfishmeister!

I have fished a few more times on the Queen of Hearts than the Hulicat, but both boats and Captains are great, what happened here is a "Failure to communicate".  How and who I don't know, but I believe it was a one time event.

I'll fish on both boats in the future,

Let us know when you are in town, I'll go fishing with you!

Wayne

kmstorm64

I had them do that to me, book a trip and no one shows up. I had family from out of town and felt like I had screwed the pooch. I am not glad to hear this happened, just glad I am not the only one who it has happened too.  Reviews on various websites have shown this has happened to others besides us. it is not a one time event sorry to say it is a failure to communicate on the part of the owner.
Bad day of fishing still beats a good day at work!