Wanna join me on a 2.5 day trip targeting tuna, dorado, and yellowtail????

Started by pjstevko, September 07, 2018, 03:12:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pjstevko

I just booked a 2.5 day trip out of Seaforth Landing on the Tomahawk (http://www.tomahawksportfishing.net/) and wanted to throw out the invite to anyone who might be interested...

The trip is sponsored by Studio A. Bachar (https://studio-abachar.myshopify.com ) ALL ANGLERS WILL RECEIVE A FRAMED FISH PRINT by this awesome artist plus some swag/stickers!! DAILY RAFFLE WINNERS RECEIVE ADDITIONAL FRAMED ARTWORK. Fishing for Tuna, Yellowtail, and other pelagic offshore species. Includes meals, bunk, bait, unlimited fountain drinks, and Mexican permits.

This boat has been on fire since the start of the offshore season and has a reputation on finding the big fish...Should be a fun time!!!

Let me know if you're interested.....

PJ

David Hall

pjstevko

pjstevko

Only 10 spots left so if your thinking about going better sign up quick....

pjstevko

fishmount

I was learning from Alan's report on gear & technique from his Jan 2018 Puerto Vallarta trip & caught your post on the Tomahawk ~ missed the chance to meet you.
I 'll be on the the same boat leaving the same day you get back (10/8) for a 2-3/4 day targeting BFT.   Your trip scheduled  to be back at 6AM & mine leave 6 hrs later.

My gear for this 1st big fish trip:
1) 80#set: 40NLD2 with 400yrd 80#braid & a Basil #80Mono wind on; plan on setting drag to 20#at strike (full@26#). Rod is a cheap Penn Carnage II rated 50-130#; but bottom out when lifting 27#weight.  I am good with this set, seems to be balance for 20#drag. Will point the rod at the fish should 26#drag needed.

2) 100#set: 16VISX with 600yrd 100#Prospec & a Basil' 130#Flouro wind on; plan on setting drag to 28#at strike.   
A friend lend me his 5.5ft custom wrapped (CalStar?) 6465XH 100# but I had a hard time lifting 25#weight repeatedly(5x); lifting 20# was fine. Don't know yet if it's limitation of my strength or the Rod.  5.5ft seems to be short to use the rail, especially for end-game phase at the bow.

Many seems to suggest a UC RCX 76 Centaur would be a good match for 100#line with 30#drag at strike.  Still looking for a rod for this reel as not sure if $500+ for a rod that may go on a few boat rides in the next few years would be well spent.  ???

In any case, this retiree will start pulling weight, toning the proper muscle in preparation. Have 2 weeks...  :D