The continual and ongoing saga of the yellow caps

Started by mrbrklyn, September 07, 2018, 06:40:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrbrklyn

FWIW, I am very frustrated with the constant loss of the yellow caps.  I just got back the torque 12 from repair at Penn and it everything with it was back to spec.  I used it for a week and the yellow cap on the spool adjecter is missing again.  This is like the 4th or 5th cap that hass been lost on these reels, and I have 3 squalls, 4 fathoms and two torques.  It is just so angering to lose the use of a 400 dollar real because of a 75 cent yellow cap and the aluminum lock nut underneath it.  This is a design problem.  That cap needs a rim on the bottom that secures it firmly to body of the reel.

Gfish

Man, that'ed be really irritating! No way prevent that, maybe with some heavy grease?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

George6308

Take a look at purple Loctite 222 it looks like it may solve your cap loosening problem.

Swami805

That would be irritating. Maybe a thicker o-ring at the base of the thread? Might keep the cap from backing off the threads. 
Do what you can with that you have where you are

conchydong

Quote from: Gfish on September 07, 2018, 07:41:54 PM
Man, that'ed be really irritating! No way prevent that, maybe with some heavy grease?

That was the first thing that came to my mind.

MarkT

I adjust them so that spool has only a tiny amount of wiggle then never touch them again. Are you constantly fiddling or adjusting them for some reason so that they loosen and fall off?  All they'd need is an o-ring to provide some additional resistance.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Gfish

Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Rivverrat

Something isn't right. Iv'e had & still have & use this version of the Torque most every day. They are the reels I leave the house with most of the time after work. This is the first I've heard of this.

When you tighten the cap can you should feel resistance from the rubber O ring. If not it could be damaged or not seated right. Please keep us informed... Jeff 

George6308

The factory should have installed a Nylock on the reels adjustment knob. This would stop the cap from unscrewing and falling off plus also allow it to be removed when needed. O ring wears too fast.
The nut that holds the roller end of the bail wire on 704, 710, & 712 has this type of locker.
Lochtite 222 does the same with the fact that it's added after assembly.

Rivverrat

Quote from: mrbrklyn on September 09, 2018, 09:21:49 AM

you lost me here..

Me to.

Ive worked on a number of these reels & have no clue whats being talked about here. Never noticed a nylok insert of any kind in the adjustment cap.

After explaining your issue to Penn & sending them your reels it's possible but highly unlikely they would have missed this if it was missing.

There is an O ring that seals & creates tension for the adjustment cap. I have marked this O ring using the limits of my artistic abilities, with yellow arrows.
Another pic shows how the cap should look.  The rubber O ring must be seated in its groove to work right.

I believe  there may be an issue with the O ring..... Its out of proper dimensions , O ring is not seated right, cap is making good contact with it. Is it missing ?  ... Jeff

bhale1

Mr. Brklyn.. .... I dont own this particular reel, and, Im pretty much a novice here, so please bare with me. Today, as I was watching the news, I was absentmindedly playing with a reel....C'mon I know you all do it :).......anyways, I started messing with the spool adjustment cap on this reel{Daiwa SL20sh}, and flicking freespool. I definitely noticed a point where the cap would lose contact with the o-ring if I backed it off too far. And at that point it would be too loose to fish with.
Turn it back in and i can feel it catch, and engage. So, I was just wondering if maybe the "yellow cap" on your reel is not engaging the O-ring when you turn it in to get the freespool your looking for? And, if so, what would cause that? Maybe something internally shifting the spool to the side, so as not allowing the o-ring to catch properly.....Just got me to thinking, thats all. Either that, or the o-ring has shrunk and needs replacement...IDK ???........
Brett

Fish-aholic

I've worked on quite a few fathom 12/15's and also noticed shrinking O-rings leaving spool tension caps having less bite.

My fix was to cut and wrap a thin strip of masking tape around the post where it countersinks to accommodate the O-ring. Reseat O-ring over tape, replace cap and the bite will return upon adjustment.  ;)

HTH, Steve

joel8080

Does anyone have an O ring that has not been used ?, so we can get a good measurement to see if there is one out there a little bit thicker/wider.
The cap on my TRQ 12 is loose for a while now.

joel8080
Oceanside,California

Dominick

Quote from: joel8080 on February 07, 2019, 09:01:57 PM
Does anyone have an O ring that has not been used ?, so we can get a good measurement to see if there is one out there a little bit thicker/wider.
The cap on my TRQ 12 is loose for a while now.

joel8080

Take the O ring to your local hardware store.  I bet you could match it up.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

joel8080

I thought about that then I checked and McMaster Carr has so many types of O rings and sizes thickness and strength the local hardware store has a very limited selection, I was there this morning.

joel8080
Oceanside,California