Another Ocean City Inductor 250

Started by Reel 224, September 07, 2018, 10:09:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reel 224

I just started on a Ocean City Inductor 250 reel this afternoon and believe me it was cruddy as heck. The reel is in tact accept for the left side oil cap. These are pictures of my progress so far. I did clean some of the internals with a ultra sonic cleaner.

Joe

"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Reel 224

some more pictures

"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

foakes

Hi Joe —

Just checked through about 300 old salt reels of which a little less than 100 are OC's..

These reels are slated for lamp and bookend production this winter — so I figured I could just take off a oil cap for your tail plate on the 250.

That part, 34-C is unique to the 249, 250, & 251 Inductors — according to my OC Interchangeability Parts Shop Books, dated 7/12/1950.  So no Inductors in my old reels to steal a part from.

Found a few OC loose parts in some of the older OC bins — these are unmarked, but may fit.

Maybe Sal can measure his and tell us?  Sal...

Anyway, if we think one of these will work, I can send it to you to try — if it fits, it is yours — N/C.  If not, just send it back.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Reel 224

Fred: I just popped in for a moment to see if there were any hits, and sure enough you were here. I will mike the OD of the threads and I have a thread checker and Ill get back to you in a few minutes.

I was working on that reel anyway cleaning it up. By the way I used that Ultra Sonic cleaner on the parts. Great tool to have..............Joe

Fred: I could not get the thread size But I miked it

OD .487"
Thread depth .476" It looks like course thread with 0.011" depth
Counter Bore for the clearance of the oil nut cover is .565" +or- .003" 

mo65

Love those Inductors...lookin' good Joe! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Reel 224

Thanks Mike: I hope you will be pleased with the final restoration. I will take pictures as I go along...........................Joe

foakes

Right, Joe —

I am not sure this will fit since I do not have the measuring equipment that you have for firearms.

But the easy way would be for Sal to give us a measurement on his 34-C tailplate oil cap —

Then, if a match, I could send it along.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Reel 224

I'll PM Sal; Fred and ask.....................Joe

Alto Mare

Sorry, I just got a chance.
I couldn't get the thread size as well, here are the dimensions on the cap:

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Reel 224

That is exactly the cap that I need. Thanks Sal. now if Fred can find one like it then I'm in business............................Joe

foakes

Thank You, Sal —

You always come through!

My measurements are less than 1/100th of an inch from Sal's — so I think this may fit.

The threads are coarse also.

I will send it out Monday to you, Joe — hopefully it will help.

N/C.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

Reel 224

Fred: the second picture in your first post is the exact one I would need. Thanks for taking the time to help me out, Both of you Sal& Fred

Joe

Reel 224

Sal: If you read this I adjusted the spool for the correct air gap today and the reel is like new, only thing is left is the drag system.

Joe

Alto Mare

Fred to the rescue again!
No matter how hard to get parts, somehow you always manage to get it done...good job Fred!

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Reel 224

Quote from: Alto Mare on September 09, 2018, 10:46:30 AM
Fred to the rescue again!
No matter how hard to get parts, somehow you always manage to get it done...good job Fred!

Sal

YES! ;D..................Joe