Four older Fin-Nor's

Started by 54bullseye, September 08, 2018, 06:35:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

54bullseye

These are my four oldest Fin-Nor reels to date however I would love to someday find a big drum or small drum or both for my collection. From left to right first is the orange / red colored 4/0. That one has been used a bit you can see the anodizing is some what worn but still works nice. I believe it to be Pre-War and from what Ed Prichard says around 1941 to 1943. Next a nice little 6/0 that has been used but well taken care of and from around same time as the orange 4/0. Next is my newest addition a really nice 12/0 "CT" Model made 1939 to about 1941 this one is in perfect working condition even the drags are smooth which is uncommon in old Fin-Nor's ! Then the 15/0 double handle "G" model from same circa as the 12/0 "CT" the difference is the double handle.

When working on and handling these old Fin-Nor's you notice a lot of small differences between reels no two seem to be just alike as they were not mass produced. Hope you enjoy !!       John Taylor         PS click on pics to blow them up.

1badf350

I love them!! Very nice collection John!
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

whalebreath

Swami805

Wow, a double handled reel, see something new everyday.Makes a lot of sense for a big reel like that. Thanks for posting those
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Dominick

Quote from: Swami805 on September 08, 2018, 07:29:40 PM
Wow, a double handled reel, see something new everyday.Makes a lot of sense for a big reel like that. Thanks for posting those

Yep a first for me also.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Oceanreels

Brian Purrone  Member ORCA
http://myfishingreels.weebly.com/

Donnyboat

Very very nice, thanks for posting them, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

redsetta

What a line-up!
Beauties all, but the 15/0 is something else entirely.
Thanks for sharing John.
Cheers, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Maxed Out

Wow John, nice set of pre war reels

Do you have any idea of the original retail cost of that 15/0 ??

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

FatTuna

So I have to ask. How does the double handled reel work? Do you use both handles at the same time? Right handed vs left handed? Early two speed?

STRIPER LOU

Wow, that dual handle 15/0 is very cool John. With the 2 handles 180 deg apart it kinda acts like a counterbalance with a type of mechanical advantage so to speak?

I'd like to see you strapped in a fighting chair, putting the steam to a giant with that baby! ;D

Very, very nice collection John,  ..  Lou

Alto Mare

Beautiful reels John, thanks for sharing.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

54bullseye

Thanks for the interest in the Fin-Nors !!  I really enjoy them. First off Ted I have no idea the cost of the big double handle 15/0 but they were not cheap and were considered top of the line reels of the day !! Second FatTuna the second handle has a drag built in to the handle then the regular drag to boot. You can only use second handle in low speed then the handles are insync in high gear they go crazy !!! Also the handle comes right out when changing gears..  Last Lou you can position handles how ever you like them I would say opposite of each other would be best. They are a different creature !!  Thanks for looking.  John Taylor

The Great Maudu

Great reels you have there. That 15/0 is very hard to find a very expensive. I had a chance to buy one 2 years ago but passed on the $15,000 price tag.

Penn Chronology

QuoteGreat reels you have there. That 15/0 is very hard to find a very expensive. I had a chance to buy one 2 years ago but passed on the $15,000 price tag.

Wow, for that price tag you must have been considering this reel.