Ocean City 612 cutaway 12/0 reel display

Started by 1badf350, September 08, 2018, 07:16:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1badf350

Thanks guys.
Sal, no its kind of a long story. I bought a reel that arrived with box damage and bent star drag.
When I contacted the guy about it he said "hey i have another one I'll just take the star drag off of it and mail it to you". He sent me pics of this. So I asked him if he would just sell me the whole thing. He named his price and now I have it. I gently straightened the bent star on the other one.
Im not sure what he was thinking since the star drag on this is cut LOL
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

Reel 224

After refurbishing the Ocean City Inducter 250 I was impressed with that reels engineering,very well made and solid. The 12/0 you have is the same quality as the little 250. Very nice find indeed.....................Joe 
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Donnyboat

Great find Chris thanks for showing us, nice to be able to see it working, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Rivverrat

I had a rare collection of cut away guns that I sold about 5 years ago. For some reason cut aways always got my attention.

This cut away you have is a fantastic piece given it's detail... Jeff

The Great Maudu

A lot of the OC reels are very high quality. IMHO the Ike Walton is the best they made.

Penn Chronology

Fantastic find. The only OC cutaway I have ever seen. The fact that it is a 12/0--600 series reel is also very special. The 600 series reels were basically designed in the pre-war years as reels for the OC cradles. They did not become top mount reels until after the war. I have always felt they exist in their high end engineering because of the connection with Edward vom Hofe in the late 1930's and early pre-war 1940's.

OC 12/0's were also upgradable with off the shelf parts. I have one with the OC Fighting Handle and rod harness clamps forward and aft like the 14 and 16/0"s. A great reel and yours is a centerpiece of a collection. Congrats on the great find.

1badf350

-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

Alto Mare

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Bill B

It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

54bullseye

Man I love this cutaway !!!  Super find !    John Taylor