4/0 Reel Age

Started by Anticz, March 16, 2015, 08:17:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anticz

Hey guy's.

I'm new to this site.
Am in need of some information on a reel I acquired yesterday.
A hobby of mine reel services.
It's an old Penn Senator 4/0.. how old is it??
Any information is appreciated.

Thanks
Antz

Maxed Out

Early 1950's for sure. Most the old 4/0's made around that time were smooth as silk with very smooth freespool. Even crusted up they still are a super smooth reel. The 3 piece spool may have issues with spectra under a big load, but likely it'll perform just fine. Nice find !!
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Anticz

Thanks for that info she's a keeper haha.
I have a few more on the rebuild. Here's one I did not so long ago to re sale. Iv never come across a tidier senator.
Cheers guys I'll upload pic's to share here and hope to learn a thing or 3.

Antz

Penn Chronology

Penn Senator 4/O turned into a classic with a historical heritage that goes back over 75 years. Here is the first model with its original box released in 1938.

Rivverrat

That original is a very neat reel. Never had much interest in Senator reels. However I've acquired a soft spot for the 4/0 size. I just love them. The one in your picture is of course the one I seek most. Thanks for sharing... Jeff

Riy2018

Quote from: Penn Chronology on April 21, 2015, 02:38:31 PM
Penn Senator 4/O turned into a classic with a historical heritage that goes back over 75 years. Here is the first model with its original box released in 1938.

impressive!. reel handle is made of wood? steel spool?

Penn Chronology

Interesting to see this old picture. It still has the old and rotten Photobucket Brand on the photo. I never forgave those guys at Photobucket. They are still looking for money.

Wompus Cat

Quote from: Penn Chronology on March 09, 2022, 06:24:29 AMInteresting to see this old picture. It still has the old and rotten Photobucket Brand on the photo. I never forgave those guys at Photobucket. They are still looking for money.

Well let's just get Rid of the PHODOHHH Pail CRAP
Click on the lil paper clip and it should give you an option to open file in YOUR photo program  for a larger pic.
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

kevin cozens

I am waiting delivery for a black sided 4/0 senator. it has the same fish pattern on the side plate but the handle is green. what age would it be. i paid £4.20 for it